You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The Messages app opens whenever I boot up my iMac

Suddenly messages is open whenever I boot up my iMac, although I close all applications before I shut it down. And is it normal to have to keep signing in to icloud.com?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Jul 28, 2022 7:52 AM

5 replies

Jul 29, 2022 10:46 AM in response to Serqet

Greetings Serqet,

If applications are starting when you power on your Mac, you likely have login items in place. You can learn how to remove those login items here:

Remove login items to resolve startup problems on your Mac

You'll just need to focus on removing anything you do not want to open when you sign in to your user account on your Mac.

On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click Users & Groups .
Click your account name below Current User, then click Login Items at the top of the window.
Make a list of the login items—you’ll need to remember them later.
Select all of the login items, then click the Remove button .
Choose Apple menu > Restart.

Take care.

Jul 29, 2022 11:48 AM in response to Serqet

I have the same thing: I get a pop up whenever I boot up. In my case, I believe I figured out the cause (and no, I have absolutely nothing listed in login items): I have never signed into Messages; in fact, I've never even opened the app. I believe Apple - in its quest to use your Apple ID for all things Apple whether you want them or not - is trying to force me to set up/sign in to the app. That I will not do, so I just dismiss the prompt.

The Messages app opens whenever I boot up my iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.