You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to set time that display goes to sleep, computer goes to sleep

I am perplexed that I cannot figure this out— you used to just go into System Preferences > Energy Saver, and then have options. Am I missing something obvious? (This problem presented itself when a sizeable download was cancelled after I stepped away from my computer after an hour... which was a bit of a bummer...)

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jul 21, 2022 7:52 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 22, 2022 10:08 AM

I also just noticed the "energy saver" preference pane was gone, in both Monterey and Big Sur. The battery preference pane, which also has the power adapter pane, gives a control for when the display goes to sleep, but not one specifically for the computer. But, according to this help page:

Set sleep and wake settings for your Mac - Apple Support

apparently the computer and display now go to sleep at the same time. Thus,

• Set the amount of time your computer should wait before going to sleep while on battery power: Click Battery, then drag the “Turn display off after” slider.
  • Set the amount of time your computer should wait before going to sleep while plugged into a power adapter: Click Power Adapter, then drag the “Turn display off after” slider.

I haven't tested this yet, however.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 22, 2022 10:08 AM in response to dustpanandbroom

I also just noticed the "energy saver" preference pane was gone, in both Monterey and Big Sur. The battery preference pane, which also has the power adapter pane, gives a control for when the display goes to sleep, but not one specifically for the computer. But, according to this help page:

Set sleep and wake settings for your Mac - Apple Support

apparently the computer and display now go to sleep at the same time. Thus,

• Set the amount of time your computer should wait before going to sleep while on battery power: Click Battery, then drag the “Turn display off after” slider.
  • Set the amount of time your computer should wait before going to sleep while plugged into a power adapter: Click Power Adapter, then drag the “Turn display off after” slider.

I haven't tested this yet, however.

how to set time that display goes to sleep, computer goes to sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.