You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

The new iPad mini is available today. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reseting inherited iPad 3

Hi. I inherited a couple iPad from my father-in-law who passed last December. We knew the passcodes for 2 of them but not the third. It is a 3rd generation. I know it's pretty worthless and can't be updated to the newest ios. I just want to use it for entertaining my cats. Is there a way i can get past the passcode to factory reset it?

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi

Posted on Jul 9, 2022 7:03 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 9, 2022 7:07 PM

Do you know the Apple ID and Apple ID Password, which was used to set up the iPad? If not, you can't use it unless you can do as advised by Apple in this support article --> How to request access to a deceased family member's Apple account - Apple Support

5 replies

Jul 9, 2022 7:09 PM in response to Gothpet582

Gothpet582 Said:

"Reseting inherited iPad 3: Hi. I inherited a couple iPad from my father-in-law who passed last December. [...]Is there a way i can get past the passcode to factory reset it?'

-------

Inheriting an iPad.

Contact Apple Support:

Normally, you would go to an Apple Store, setting up a Genius Bar Appointment to take place there, bringing along a death certificate. But, with the CoronavirusPandemic going around, many Apple Stores are closed at the moment. So, contact Apple Support, asking them how to proceed with this.

Apple Support Info:

Ask to speak with the Apple Store staff. They'll run you through the fix.

Contact Apple:

• Contact Us - Choose Locations
  • Proceed from there as Necessary
  • Why the Wait:
  • Due to the Coronavirus Pandemic, calls and chats are taking a bit longer to get through. And, that makes sense, because many are at home working out-of-the-house or are taking classes over-the-web, this they have more time on their hands to contact Apple Support. So, it might take a bit to get through to Apple Support. But, just stay on the line, and someone will be with you. :)

Jul 9, 2022 7:24 PM in response to lobsterghost1

lobsterghost1 Said:

"Make sure you note the support article I provided the OP. Apple will not walk them through the fix, even at an Apple Store. They are not the original owner. They will HAVE to provide Apple the appropriate documentation or Apple will not help them with the iPad at all."

-------

As emphasized: bringing along a death certificate

Jul 9, 2022 7:27 PM in response to TheLittles

You haven't read the article, have you? You need more than just a death certificate. You need to be Legal Estate Representative of the Account. It's not as easy as you make it seem to be. This is why I recommend you bookmark this link and if you want to advise people in this situation, help them better by sending them the link which provides more details than just presenting a death certificate to an Apple Store.

Reseting inherited iPad 3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.