You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I ethically and legally buy a used phone whose IMEI says "This device has been replaced, so it can not be serviced by Apple"?

I am looking into buying a used iPhone SE 1st generation.

FindMy is off and it has a clean iCloud and blacklist status, per imeipro.info.

But it also says, "This device has been replaced, so it can not be serviced by Apple" --

I have heard that when you have to send a device in to apple for repair, they actually send you a nearly-identical device so they have time to work on the original device for someone else, and change the number of your replacement device -- does this mean that this is someone's device that they received back from repair, or that it was one that was sent in for repair, or ... ?

Does this ever mean it's a lost or stolen phone? (But I would assume that would actually give it a bad iCloud and/or blacklist status if it was lost or stolen?) It's an iPhone SE 1st gen, so it's not like apple would service it anyway;-(

Most importantly, would I be able to activate this device? Or is it akin to activating a stolen phone, which I do NOT want to do?

Posted on Jun 13, 2022 12:02 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 13, 2022 3:39 PM

That message means someone requested service on their iPhone, got the replacement (whether by Express Replacement or not) and instead of sending back the original iPhone, which was not broken, they sold it. It is a common scam. It is technically owned by Apple which can make it stolen property depending on the jurisdiction. And Apple absolutely will not service it.

I would suggest taking a hard pass.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 13, 2022 3:39 PM in response to rsrchr

That message means someone requested service on their iPhone, got the replacement (whether by Express Replacement or not) and instead of sending back the original iPhone, which was not broken, they sold it. It is a common scam. It is technically owned by Apple which can make it stolen property depending on the jurisdiction. And Apple absolutely will not service it.

I would suggest taking a hard pass.

Jun 13, 2022 1:09 PM in response to rsrchr

Not necessarily stolen. The thing I can think of is the Express Replacement program where Apple sends out a replacement device with a credit card hold, and then charges that hold amount if the replaced device isn't returned in time. I don't know about the ethics of that other than I wouldn't consider it "stolen" unless it was somehow diverted.

Most replacements are done in person, so this would be unusual.

Jun 13, 2022 5:07 PM in response to rsrchr

Note too that sites like that IMEI pro site are notoriously useless in reality. They claim to check devices world wide, but there literally is no way for them to actually acquire the data they’d need to even do that.

In the USA the only reliable stolen device checker is the US wireless trade association -> https://stolenphonechecker.org/spc/ and even it states it cannot be taken as a guarantee a device is not stolen. And it only represents data from USA carriers, not global carriers.

Note too that a common scam is to not report a phone stolen to the carrier until after it is sold.

Can I ethically and legally buy a used phone whose IMEI says "This device has been replaced, so it can not be serviced by Apple"?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.