You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restore from Backup

I just got a new iPhone 12. I usually plug in my new iPhone to my laptop & restore from backup & use it. But this time, when I entered the requested password, it says password incorrect.

The password is for the Apple ID, right? I was able to sign in to iTunes (so my password is correct!). I re-entered the same password again but it still doesn't work. I don't understand what's wrong.

iPhone 12

Posted on Apr 17, 2022 11:03 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2022 7:12 AM

The only way to deselect encryption that is to “reset” everything on the iPhone to default settings. I’ve done that myself where I was helping out my parents trying to transfer their data to a new iPhone, but the backup I made for them had an encryption password and they had no idea what it was. The only way to deselect that is to reset to default settings on the iPhone or to enter the correct password. Resetting to default settings won’t erase most stuff on the iPhone, but it may change settings that you might prefer not to set back.

If you can’t remember the password for your encrypted backup - Apple Support

You can try to figure out the encryption password as there are unlimited tries, but that could be a lot of work.

Another way would be to use Quick Start using the instructions from Apple that I posted earlier.

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 18, 2022 7:12 AM in response to Trinity05

The only way to deselect encryption that is to “reset” everything on the iPhone to default settings. I’ve done that myself where I was helping out my parents trying to transfer their data to a new iPhone, but the backup I made for them had an encryption password and they had no idea what it was. The only way to deselect that is to reset to default settings on the iPhone or to enter the correct password. Resetting to default settings won’t erase most stuff on the iPhone, but it may change settings that you might prefer not to set back.

If you can’t remember the password for your encrypted backup - Apple Support

You can try to figure out the encryption password as there are unlimited tries, but that could be a lot of work.

Another way would be to use Quick Start using the instructions from Apple that I posted earlier.

Apr 17, 2022 11:30 PM in response to Trinity05

Which password? If it's encrypted, you'll need the backup encryption password. In my case it's automatic. I see it filled in as hidden characters and I just press enter. I've recovered from the backup several times.

If you can't figure it out, you can perform a new backup, but make sure to reset the settings to default on the older iPhone, which will allow you to create a backup that's unencrypted (won't copy over saved passwords) or to choose a new encryption password (will allow copying over of saved passwords). Just Settings > General > Transfer or Reset iPhone > Reset. This is NOT "Erase All Content", which is obviously what you don't want to do.

Return iPhone settings to their defaults - Apple Support

Other than that, you might try erasing your new iPhone and get it back in factory settings, then when it comes up use Quick Start to perform the transfer. It's a little bit different and transfers via Bluetooth. It also uses the camera to sense a moving pattern.

Use Quick Start to transfer data to a new iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Apr 18, 2022 12:12 PM in response to Trinity05

Trinity05 wrote:

Ok. That sounds interesting. But how do I reset to default setting? Is it what you sent earlier:

"Just Settings > General > Transfer or Reset iPhone > Reset"

I tried to do that. Selected "Reset all Settings" but was scared that I'd lose stuff on my iPhone so I canceled it. I already did a backup of my old phone. So now I follow the instructions above and the encryption will go away. Then what? I reset backup on the old phone? Or reset backup on the new phone directly?

Yes - I get that it's scary and you're worried that you'll wipe all the data without being able to access your current backup. You have to be really careful and don't choose "Erase All Contents & Settings". It would just be "Reset", then a list will pop up and tap on "Reset All Settings". There will be plenty of chances to avoid destroying all the data. It should look like this:

Your backup is going to be useless unless you can figure out the password, or unless you remove encryption/change the password to something you can remember or write down.

It will reset quite a few things, but it would be mostly things like your preferred display settings. If you're worried about losing photos/video, Reset All Settings does not wipe any photos.

Apr 17, 2022 11:53 PM in response to y_p_w

I think it's asking for the backup encryption password. It seems to be different from my Apple ID password. And I didn't save it on my laptop.

I can't even unclick the encrypt tab because it appears faded.

I've already set my new iPhone to "restore iPhone". I don't know when I plug it back to my laptop whether it will ask for "restore from backup". I hope I can do it then.

Could you please elaborate on that:

If you can't figure it out, you can perform a new backup, but make sure to reset the settings to default on the older iPhone, which will allow you to create a backup that's unencrypted (won't copy over saved passwords)

Apr 18, 2022 1:02 AM in response to y_p_w

I tried the "restore iPhone" for the new iPhone. After extracting files, I got a pop-up:

"iPhone could not be restored. The device cannot be found".

On the old iPhone, the "Manually backup & Restore" section on iTunes is faded. The "encrypt iPhone backup" action is faded too.

Could you please elaborate on that:

If you can't figure it out, you can perform a new backup, but make sure to reset the settings to default on the older iPhone, which will allow you to create a backup that's unencrypted (won't copy over saved passwords)

Apr 18, 2022 10:13 AM in response to y_p_w

Ok. That sounds interesting. But how do I reset to default setting? Is it what you sent earlier:

"Just Settings > General > Transfer or Reset iPhone > Reset"

I tried to do that. Selected "Reset all Settings" but was scared that I'd lose stuff on my iPhone so I canceled it. I already did a backup of my old phone. So now I follow the instructions above and the encryption will go away. Then what? I reset backup on the old phone? Or reset backup on the new phone directly?

Apr 19, 2022 7:41 AM in response to Trinity05

Happy it worked out for you. I had not idea whether or not you might have had the usual suspects to try out with a password or not. However, it's not like entering the passcode where it will get progressively worse (timeout before accepting the next attempt, then longer timeouts, and finally no more attempts allowed and it has to be reset) with more unsuccessful attempts, so there's that.

Restore from Backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.