You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone won't charge if plugged in first, then in wall

Ok so this is a weird issue, same charger is used for all examples.

For the cable I'm using the original one from the box.

For the wall brick I'm using a samsung 20w charger.

If I plug in the charger in the wall and after that I plug in the phone is charging.

If I plug in the phone first then I plug in the charger in the wall the phone is NOT charging.

I've tested this on Iphone 12, Iphone 13, it does not charge if plugged in first in phone then in wall. If I plug the wall first then the iPhones, it works.

Now here is the weird part.

Also tested a iPhone 13 Mini and it works both ways (charger first + wall after/ wall first + charger after)

I've also tested 2(TWO) samsung wall bricks 15 W on both iPhone 12/13 and the 15W one's wont charge at all. The charging Icon appears for a secon, then disconects (like you would plug and unplug the phone very fast)

All 3 samsung wall bricks are original, bough from samsung. And the usb c to lighting cables used are the ones that come with iPhone 12/13 in the box.

Does anybody have any ideea why this weird thing is happening?

Posted on Mar 24, 2022 12:58 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2022 3:24 AM

If you get the same thing on several iphones the only thing you can now try is a 20watt Apple USB-C charge brick.

3 replies

Iphone won't charge if plugged in first, then in wall

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.