You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i download from my seagate backup to my new imac?

How do I download from my seagate backup plus driver to my new Imac?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Jan 22, 2022 10:47 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2022 11:08 AM

First, a question: what "driver"? External hard drives do not need a "driver" or any other software to function.

If you have a Time Machine backup on an external, simply plug it into your new Mac and, when first setting it up, use the Setup Assistant offered during initial set up and everything will be transferred. You can use Migration Assistant later; however, that can result in some problems because you may wind up with two user accounts.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 22, 2022 11:08 AM in response to sonemer

First, a question: what "driver"? External hard drives do not need a "driver" or any other software to function.

If you have a Time Machine backup on an external, simply plug it into your new Mac and, when first setting it up, use the Setup Assistant offered during initial set up and everything will be transferred. You can use Migration Assistant later; however, that can result in some problems because you may wind up with two user accounts.

how do i download from my seagate backup to my new imac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.