You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to a install data from a sea gate backup

I have a new macpro16 -need to know how

to add data from a seagate backup

MacBook Pro 15″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jul 17, 2020 5:14 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2020 6:27 AM

Did you use Time Machine or some other backup software?

If you used Time Machine, you could have migrated the data during the setup. You can use Migration Assistant to get the data from the backup as long as you didn’t create a user account with the same name as on the old Mac.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204350

If you used some other software, the ask the developer how to restore.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 18, 2020 6:27 AM in response to cssoldan

Did you use Time Machine or some other backup software?

If you used Time Machine, you could have migrated the data during the setup. You can use Migration Assistant to get the data from the backup as long as you didn’t create a user account with the same name as on the old Mac.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204350

If you used some other software, the ask the developer how to restore.

Jul 18, 2020 4:46 PM in response to cssoldan

I have used time machine but I also did a complete (I hope) backup about 3 weeks ago.My damaged computer is MacPro 13 early version 2019 which I've been told my data is gone??

So, was your "complete (I hope) backup about 3 weeks ago" a Time Machine backup, or something else? The above-linked article shows you how to use Time Machine to migrate from a Time Machine backup. If you used something else, you'll need to tell us what it was. But, I won't have any idea how to restore from something else.

How to a install data from a sea gate backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.