You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

all my non-OS files on startup disk missing in Monterey bafter Time Machine migration to M1 Mac

I used a Time Machine backup to migrate my Mojave MacBook Pro to my new Monterey M1 16" MacBook Pro. All of the files/folders that used to be on the startup disk top level are gone. All I have now is Users, Library, System and Applications. Any idea how to get them back?

Posted on Dec 28, 2021 3:56 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2021 4:34 PM

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities.

Starting in macOS Catalina, macOS uses a read-only system volume and user's files cannot be stored at the "root" or "top level" of your startup disk: About the read-only system volume in macOS Catalina - Apple Support.

Look for the files in a "Relocated Items" folder in the Shared folder within the User folder (/Users/Shared/Relocated Items), or for the alias on your desktop.

If they are not there, choose a new destination for these files, then use your Time Machine backup to Restore items backed up with Time Machine on Mac - Apple Support to the new location.

Jack

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 28, 2021 4:34 PM in response to macgrant6230

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities.

Starting in macOS Catalina, macOS uses a read-only system volume and user's files cannot be stored at the "root" or "top level" of your startup disk: About the read-only system volume in macOS Catalina - Apple Support.

Look for the files in a "Relocated Items" folder in the Shared folder within the User folder (/Users/Shared/Relocated Items), or for the alias on your desktop.

If they are not there, choose a new destination for these files, then use your Time Machine backup to Restore items backed up with Time Machine on Mac - Apple Support to the new location.

Jack

all my non-OS files on startup disk missing in Monterey bafter Time Machine migration to M1 Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.