You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installing Big Sur on external hard drive

I recently installed Big Sur on my external hard drive. This was a mistake and I wish I could undo this action. If I start my Macbook without the hard drive plugged in it starts with the old OS and everything is as it should be, except the files on the hard drive doesn't show up when I plug it in. How do I get them back?

If I start my Macbook with the hard drive plugged in the hard drive shows up as time machine on the desk top and I can find the files on there by showing hidden files, but there is 800gb worth of files. How do I keep those files but get rid of Big Sur?

Hope someone can help me 🤞🏻

MacBook Air

Posted on Aug 24, 2021 2:04 AM

Similar questions

9 replies

Aug 24, 2021 4:23 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

The hard drive must be a bootable drive with big sur installed. But when I start up the computer with the hard disk plugged in, it shows up with the time machine logo on the desktop, where as if I start up without it plugged in, the hard drive shows with the hard drive logo but has changed its name to update. When I plug in the external hard drive a message comes up saying that it is not compatible with the computer.

Aug 25, 2021 2:44 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Open Disk Utility. Does it show all the volumes in the external drive?

Rereading your posts, it seems to me that what you ultimately want to do is restore Catalina to your external drive and use it as your boot drive. Am I correct?

If that is indeed what you want, then you should progress as follows:

1) Boot into Big Sur using the external drive

2) Run Time Machine to make a full backup to a third drive

3) Download the full Catalina installer using this link:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211683

4) Make a bootable installer on a thumb drive

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

5) Start from the installer, run Disk Utility and completely erase the external drive - the WHOLE drive, not

just the volumes inside it.

6) Quit Disk Utility and install

7) When your mac reboots and asks if you want to migrate stuff, connect the Time Machine backup.

IMPORTANT: choose to migrate ONLY the user accounts, NOT applications, settings or other files.

Aug 24, 2021 3:01 AM in response to BigSurHardDriveProblems

Your post is confusing at best. The external drive is either a Time Machine backup or a bootable drive with Big Sur installed. Not both.

Please clarify.

Also, to start: start from your internal drive and go to System Preferences >Startup Disk and make sure that your internal drive is selected there. Then whether you start with your external drive connected or not, your mac will always boot from the internal.

Now download the diagnostic tool Etrecheck and post its full report here using the “additional text” button below your message area. This will let us know more about your system.

Also: select the external drive jn the Finder and press Command-I to open the Info window, and post a screenshot.

Aug 24, 2021 6:15 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

> Catalina, which should recognize a properly formatted disk with a Big Sur installation

I guess both Mojave and Catalina show the Big Sur system-volume confusingly as “Update”.

"persistent hidden volume called “Update,” and it is visible if you boot into Catalina on the same system)"

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/11/macos-11-0-big-sur-the-ars-technica-review/11/#h3

Aug 25, 2021 12:59 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Hi

I can't see all the volumes in the hard disk.

No I don't want to start Catalina from my external hard drive, I've never used my external hard drive for anything other than extra space. It was randomly plugged in when I tried to install big sur, and during the update i needed more space so the computer suggested using my external hard drive. This has resulted in big sur only working when the computer starts with the hard drive plugged in and when it is not plugged in Catalina is the OS. I want to keep Catalina but be able to see all my old files on my external hard drive which this update is not allowing me to do whether I start with Catalina or big sur

Thanks so much for your help. I don't know what to do

Installing Big Sur on external hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.