You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to get rid of Fake McAfee Notifications NOT running McAfee

Funning Big Sur 11.6.1 on iMac Desktop from late 2015. Not running McAfee. Husband did something yesterday (went to a Bad website) and now I'm getting constant Notifications that my McAfee needs to be updated. I've checked the web and can only find help on where I can turn off ALL Notifications. I just want to get rid of this fake one, I can still use the legit ones. I've read it's from people who get a commission if you buy the "upgrade" even if you're not running the software. Can anyone instruct me on the steps to take to rid my computer of this nuisance? Have already broken hubby's fingers, LOL! Just kidding.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Dec 19, 2021 9:15 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2021 9:59 AM

If, as you suggest, your husband picked this up from a visited web site, then I suggest that you download, install and run the trusted free app Malwarebytes It should eliminate the problem. Click on the link below to download it.

Malwarebytes

5 replies

Dec 19, 2021 3:28 PM in response to SurfOhio

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Dec 19, 2021 1:45 PM in response to SurfOhio

The other possibility is that Mcafee has been installed in this computer sometime ago and then later removed. However, if the app was not removed using the Mcafee uninstaller, all of it might not have been removed. You can try reinstalling it and then using their uninstaller which will remove all of the app's bits and pieces. If this is the case, it will then stop those notices.

How to get rid of Fake McAfee Notifications NOT running McAfee

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.