You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to delete a complete thread in Apple Mail?

Hello,

I have "Organize by Conversation" in Apple Mail on. When I delete a conversation, mail messages in

Sent folder from that conversation are not deleted. Is there a way to completely delete a conversation, including the sent emails?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Dec 16, 2021 8:55 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2021 4:19 PM

Hello maxkatz9,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. We understand that you have questions regarding deleting conversations in the Mail app. Take a look at article, View email conversations in Mail on Mac. Under section: Exclude emails from a conversation, it's noted that when you delete a conversation, related messages located in other mailboxes are not deleted. Could this be what you're facing?

Reviewing article, Delete emails in Mail on Mac, it doesn't appear there is any specific action or guidance for deleting the entire conversation. However, you might use the directions for "Delete multiple emails" as an alternative.

Hope this helps!

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 17, 2021 4:19 PM in response to maxkatz9

Hello maxkatz9,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. We understand that you have questions regarding deleting conversations in the Mail app. Take a look at article, View email conversations in Mail on Mac. Under section: Exclude emails from a conversation, it's noted that when you delete a conversation, related messages located in other mailboxes are not deleted. Could this be what you're facing?

Reviewing article, Delete emails in Mail on Mac, it doesn't appear there is any specific action or guidance for deleting the entire conversation. However, you might use the directions for "Delete multiple emails" as an alternative.

Hope this helps!

Dec 17, 2021 7:20 PM in response to Missy5937

Hi Missy5937,

Thank you for your help.

On this page Delete emails in Mail on Mac, in "Delete multiple emails" section it says:

1. In the Mail app on your Mac, select messages or email conversations in the list.
All of the messages in a conversation will be deleted.

Does this mean that all messages in the conversation will be deleted but not the related messages in other mailboxes?

Jan 20, 2022 3:35 PM in response to Eric Root

Thanks for your reply.

I'm trying to mimic how Gmail works. When you delete a thread, all emails (Inbox, Sent) are deleted.

With Apple Mail, I can delete all messages in Inbox but then messages in Sent related to this thread are not deleted. One option it to manually delete them. I'm curious if there is a "workaround" possible?

One option is to archive all messages, also archive Sent messages and delete all messages from there. This is not very elegant.

I understand Gmail has a proprietary IMAP setup so that's why it works differently.

How to delete a complete thread in Apple Mail?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.