You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Undo JBOD on a new Machine

I have a new (refurbished) iMAC with a custom setup. I asked for a 1 TB SSD to run my OS and Programs as well as my working projects and a 4 TB HDD for storage. When I received the machine the Disc Utility shows me I have one volume(Drive) 4.98 TB available. It's the weekend so I cannot call the company to find out why or what they did.

After doing a little online research it looks like the Techs set me up with a JBOD via RAID.

Before I start loading this machine up, I would like to separate the SDD and HDD into separate drives.

Can I ?

Do I have to back up the OS somewhere first?

I am not migrating an old machine over, this is going to be a new build.

Any advice is appreciated.

iMac 27″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Dec 5, 2021 6:08 AM

Similar questions

10 replies

Dec 5, 2021 9:18 AM in response to Kfrenchy7

Kfrenchy7 wrote:

I have a new (refurbished) iMAC with a custom setup. I asked for a 1 TB SSD to run my OS and Programs as well as my working projects and a 4 TB HDD for storage. When I received the machine the Disc Utility shows me I have one volume(Drive) 4.98 TB available. It's the weekend so I cannot call the company to find out why or what they did.
After doing a little online research it looks like the Techs set me up with a JBOD via RAID.

Before I start loading this machine up, I would like to separate the SDD and HDD into separate drives.
Can I ?
Do I have to back up the OS somewhere first?
I am not migrating an old machine over, this is going to be a new build.
Any advice is appreciated.

reference the links in this guide

https://support.apple.com/guide/disk-utility/create-a-disk-set-dskua23150fd/mac

Dec 5, 2021 12:05 PM in response to Kfrenchy7

Kfrenchy7 wrote:

Thank you for the reply, however am not trying to set up a RAID, I'm trying to undo a setup. After poking around the links that were attached, it doesn't look like a RAID is set up. So now the question is what did tech set me up with. I cannot erase any volume or container that is set up. The option is greyed out.
Here's a shot of the Disk Utility
What I ordered was a 1 TB SSD and a 4TB HDD
This looks very different than that to me.

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/52acd1ac-dec4-4462-b80f-3a8d6557c4d4

It appears to be a fusion drive set up...

What does it look like from the Terminal.app copy and paste:

diskutil list internal

Dec 5, 2021 12:44 PM in response to Kfrenchy7

Kfrenchy7 wrote:

It shows up as a single 5 TB drive. I do heavy editing in photos and video. My last 3 setups have worked very well for me where I run the OS, the programs, and my current projects on the SSD, then move them over to the HDD for short term storage, or while they are in limbo waiting on a customer.
This setup does not allow for me to see the drives separately and I'm afraid the HDD will be the speed limiter and that defeats why I just customize this machine to be set up as I asked it to be.

Thank you for interpreting this for me. I would like to undo this current setup and show two separate drives.

How to fix a split Fusion Drive

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207584

I would refer you back to the Apple store for some corroboration or confirmation, before you attempt to proceed or make a change to what you have.

Call Customer Support  (800) MYAPPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line  https://getsupport.apple.com/

Dec 5, 2021 10:43 AM in response to leroydouglas

Thank you for the reply, however am not trying to set up a RAID, I'm trying to undo a setup. After poking around the links that were attached, it doesn't look like a RAID is set up. So now the question is what did tech set me up with. I cannot erase any volume or container that is set up. The option is greyed out.

Here's a shot of the Disk Utility

What I ordered was a 1 TB SSD and a 4TB HDD

This looks very different than that to me.

Dec 5, 2021 12:33 PM in response to leroydouglas

It shows up as a single 5 TB drive. I do heavy editing in photos and video. My last 3 setups have worked very well for me where I run the OS, the programs, and my current projects on the SSD, then move them over to the HDD for short term storage, or while they are in limbo waiting on a customer.

This setup does not allow for me to see the drives separately and I'm afraid the HDD will be the speed limiter and that defeats why I just customize this machine to be set up as I asked it to be.

Thank you for interpreting this for me. I would like to undo this current setup and show two separate drives.

Undo JBOD on a new Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.