You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installing Mojave on a volume in a RAID 1 external HDD

I own a WD MyBook Duo External HDD that is 16TB (2 x 8TB physical volumes). I set it up as an 8TB RAID 1 - Mac OS Extended (Journaled). I then partitioned the 8TB RAID 1 into 2 x 4TB volumes using Disk Utility. I call one volume Time, the other volume Dave.

Time is being used for backing up my 3TB iMac using Time Machine. The other volume, Dave, is free to do what I want with. Dave currently holds only 110MB or so.

I have some games on Steam that have stopped working since updating to Catalina. So installed Mojave (and Steam) on a virgin 64gb USB memory stick and currently boot from that whenever I want to use Steam for those games that no longer work with Catalina.

This has been working okay for a while now but of course I don't have much room on the device it to play with. So I'm considering installing a bootable copy of Mojave on the volume I call Dave so that I may access the 4 TB of free space on it.

I read somewhere that downloading Mojave and pointing the installer at a chosen volume will wipe the said volume. So, if I want Mojave on Dave, I will need to move the small amount of stuff already on it elsewhere first.

What I want to check however is that the Mojave installer will only wipe Dave and not Time as well. I suspect that it will only wipe Dave but I want to be sure in case putting a bootable copy of Mojave on Dave screws up my Time Machine volume.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 22, 2020 8:02 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Installing Mojave on a volume in a RAID 1 external HDD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.