You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External Seagate Disk (1T) restarts my macbook everytime I try to use it

Hey guys,

I have a macbook pro, (early 2015, macOS Catalina version 10.15.7) that restarts everytime I try to use my external seagate 1 Terabyte disk.

Everytime I try to browse its content (for example, trying to copy its content to another external disk) after a few minutes, it restarts my computer...it goes totally black for a couple seconds to later display a message that says something like "your computer restarted due to a problem" (it does NOT disconnects due to going asleep, it literally crashes and restarts my laptop).

I feel the main issue is the disk as I already tried to use another macbook and did the same thing. any idea what could be going on or what could I do to rescue my data?

thanks in advance guys!

Marco

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 26, 2021 5:26 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2021 5:57 PM

If it does this with two different computers, it is clearly the external drive that is damaged. A good guess is that it is trying to draw too much power and this disrupts your Mac enough to cause it to shut down or restart. You could try using a powered hub to try to prevent it from doing this to your computers.

If it takes a few minutes before it glitches you could always try to copy a few files or folders at a time until it restarts, but this could take a very long time, depending how full the drive is. If you have backup (anything of value or importance should be backed up), I would discard the original external drive and revert to the backup.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 26, 2021 5:57 PM in response to MarcoRof13

If it does this with two different computers, it is clearly the external drive that is damaged. A good guess is that it is trying to draw too much power and this disrupts your Mac enough to cause it to shut down or restart. You could try using a powered hub to try to prevent it from doing this to your computers.

If it takes a few minutes before it glitches you could always try to copy a few files or folders at a time until it restarts, but this could take a very long time, depending how full the drive is. If you have backup (anything of value or importance should be backed up), I would discard the original external drive and revert to the backup.

External Seagate Disk (1T) restarts my macbook everytime I try to use it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.