You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Brother's printer not working after update to Big Sur 11.6.1

I downloaded Big Sur 11.6.1 and now my Brother printer won't work. I have tried everything from deleting the printer and adding it to no avail. I have the latest Brother driver. So frustrating!

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Nov 14, 2021 11:25 AM

2 replies

Nov 14, 2021 1:02 PM in response to peggy572

Try this:

1. Restart Devices

The first thing that you should do to troubleshoot a not working printer is to turn it Off. Reboot your Mac and turn the printer back On. Are the two connected?

2. Check Printer Connection

If your printer and Mac are using a wired USB connection your can check it’s status in System Information:

Open Spotlight Search (cmd + Space)

Search for System Information and open it.

Click on USB, available under the Hardware menu.

Fact: If the printer’s name is displayed in the hardware list it means that the connection is recognized! 

3. Reset Printer

If you checked everything else and printer is properly connected, your next option is to reset the printing system configured on your Mac:

Open System Preferences.

Go for Printers & Scanners.

Right-click the [printer name], from the list available on the left, to bring up the quick actions menu.

Go for Reset printing system…

Restart your Mac and return to Printers & Scanners to re-add your printer!

4. Avoid AirPrint

Brother's printer not working after update to Big Sur 11.6.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.