You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac does not turn on after adding compatible memory card- ant help?

I got iMac 27inch, 2020 model:

3.6GHz 10-core 10th-generation Intel Core i9 processor Turbo Boost up to 5.0GHz

8GB 2666MHz DDR4 memory

Radeon Pro 5700 XT with 16GB of GDDR6 memory

and have a compatible memory card to boost RAM. There are 2x 4GB memory card installed as a default and 2 slots available for me to fill so I got a Crucial 32GB DDR4 2666 MHz SO-DIMM Memory Module(confirmed already it's compatible), and my iMac does not turn on.

First of all, how can I tell memory cards are installed properly? I checked the memory when it turned on without the added memory card and it seemed it's only recognizing one of the default memory card as it says it has 4GB memory which is alarming as well.

Also, should it be 2x 32GB memory card instead of just one?

I hope all of these makes sense.

Thanks in advance!

Posted on Oct 19, 2021 9:19 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 19, 2021 9:33 AM

DIMMs may or may not meet their own published specs, and even otherwise good DIMMs can have failed.

Contact Crucial Support, and discuss this with them.

Here are the Apple iMax memory-installation instructions: Install memory in an iMac - Apple Support

The linked instructions describe how to install and properly seat the DIMMs.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 19, 2021 9:33 AM in response to migata1

DIMMs may or may not meet their own published specs, and even otherwise good DIMMs can have failed.

Contact Crucial Support, and discuss this with them.

Here are the Apple iMax memory-installation instructions: Install memory in an iMac - Apple Support

The linked instructions describe how to install and properly seat the DIMMs.

Oct 19, 2021 9:34 AM in response to migata1

Remove the RAM you just added and if it boots then you know the problem. iMacs are VERY sensitive to using quality RAM. Most experienced users on these forums will only recommend Crucial.com or Macsales.com RAM. If you bought any other brand or not directly from these sites (counterfeits exist) then return and buy direct.

The issue would be:

• Incorrect RAM
  • Failed RAM
  • Unseated RAM

iMac does not turn on after adding compatible memory card- ant help?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.