You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Which cable should I use for target disk mode?

I have a MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019) [which I understand uses Thunderbolt 3 ports] and want to be able to connect it to a number of different old iMacs and MacBook Pros in target disk mode so I can copy data off the old Macs to the new Mac I don't need the cable to allow the old monitor to be used as a display ... I only want to copy files off a (usually failing) Mac.

What cable(s) do I need to be able to achieve this?

I've been trying to study my options but I find it so complicated. Especially as there are various versions of the same named cables / ports.

Eg. Thunderbolt 1, 2, 3, 4, USB 1, 2, 3, C, Firewire 400, 800, MDP, etc. Male and female.

Can anyone direct me to a link to the necessary cable(s) I need please?

Thank you.

MacBook Pro 16"

Posted on Oct 16, 2021 6:02 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 16, 2021 2:20 PM

To connect ThunderBolt-3 devices to your older ThunderBolt-2 devices, you can use the Apple ThunderBolt-3 <-> Thunderbolt-2 adapter, plus a genuine ThunderBolt--2 cable on that side. This adapter does not supply power, so each device must be self-powered (e.g., does not work for Bus-powered drives.) This adapter does not support displays, except genuine ThunderBolt displays.

Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter - Apple

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD861LL/A/apple-thunderbolt-cable-20-m?fnode=ae621829d455c3cdf2156d058578422c16daf5827371d14f1e520a7baeb3b1f36d18669ebbe4744de9e80fdd79bc3209d13db07f32920bd45e88e7b3d58225a6a64de7ed368cf8979d4f5f39eec0e284b35b6f6b33a1e4314989fe88a16c0667

BEFORE the introduction of ThunderBolt-3 USB-C you could generally just mate the correct connector shapes and it would all work. ThunderBolt-3 and its USB-C connector throws all that out the window, and now you need to look carefully at the symbol on each end of the cable each time, and often understand even more about the devices involved.

ThunderBolt-3 is an uncommitted computer port that can do almost anything, with the right cables/adapters. The first cable/adapter you attach specializes the port to one particular purpose, usually a more narrow subset of all it could potentially do.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 16, 2021 2:20 PM in response to The_Knowledge_Seeker

To connect ThunderBolt-3 devices to your older ThunderBolt-2 devices, you can use the Apple ThunderBolt-3 <-> Thunderbolt-2 adapter, plus a genuine ThunderBolt--2 cable on that side. This adapter does not supply power, so each device must be self-powered (e.g., does not work for Bus-powered drives.) This adapter does not support displays, except genuine ThunderBolt displays.

Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter - Apple

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD861LL/A/apple-thunderbolt-cable-20-m?fnode=ae621829d455c3cdf2156d058578422c16daf5827371d14f1e520a7baeb3b1f36d18669ebbe4744de9e80fdd79bc3209d13db07f32920bd45e88e7b3d58225a6a64de7ed368cf8979d4f5f39eec0e284b35b6f6b33a1e4314989fe88a16c0667

BEFORE the introduction of ThunderBolt-3 USB-C you could generally just mate the correct connector shapes and it would all work. ThunderBolt-3 and its USB-C connector throws all that out the window, and now you need to look carefully at the symbol on each end of the cable each time, and often understand even more about the devices involved.

ThunderBolt-3 is an uncommitted computer port that can do almost anything, with the right cables/adapters. The first cable/adapter you attach specializes the port to one particular purpose, usually a more narrow subset of all it could potentially do.

Oct 16, 2021 10:49 AM in response to The_Knowledge_Seeker

The printed specs for each machine tell you exactly what the ports are and their protocols.

Macbook Pro 13" 2016

Charging and Expansion

Two Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) ports with support for:

• Charging
  • DisplayPort
  • Thunderbolt (up to 40 Gbps)
  • USB 3.1 Gen 2 (up to 10 Gbps

"DisplayPort" is a specific type of port and has it's own specific attributes

"Thunderbolt" (up to 40 Gbps)

"USB 3.1 Gen 2" (up to 10 Gbps)

The above are specific port identifiers and are given with the max speed of data transmission for each.

Thunderbolt 2, Thunderbolt 3 (USB -C). Thunderbolt 4, USB-A and other similar all are specific names and have specific connector configurations and data speed limits.

Search with Google or your favorite search engine on the protocols and connection/connector types and you'll find literally hundreds of appropriate cables to choose from.

Oct 16, 2021 9:21 AM in response to ku4hx

Thanks for that. The problem is that, in this instance, there are no numbers showing. The ports on the old machine are just called "Thunderbolt", but you can quite easily see that they are different shapes to the new machine's Thunderbolt ports. In this instance, what cable would be needed to connect the two machines ...

Mid 2014 21.5" iMac:

and ...

2019 MacBook Pro

to each other to transfer data from the 2014 iMac to the 2019 MacBook Pro?

It seems obvious that it needs a Thunderbolt to Thunderbolt 3 (male to male) cable, but which Thunderbolt version is the 2014 machine?

Ideally, please give me a link to the correct cable!

Thanks!

Oct 16, 2021 6:43 AM in response to The_Knowledge_Seeker

The cables you need is entire determined by the ports you have available one all machines. You'll need to buy a cable for each unique setup, or maybe a single cable for the prime Mac and adapters to match the others. A simple inspection of the ports will tell you what you need. Maybe also consult the web on each different model's specifications as some dissimilar ports look alike.

Amazon, Newegg, Apple and many other site market all sorts of cable and adapters.

Oct 16, 2021 11:04 AM in response to The_Knowledge_Seeker

Generally yes, but you have to take it within context. A writer may use "Thunderbolt" as a general class and then expand on that in the body of the article or whatever. Thunderbolt 2 is essentially dead. The connectors look like DisplayPort cables except DisplayPort connectors have a tiny monitor pic on them. Thunderbolt 2 lack the monitor graphic and physically the connectors will fit both female ports. The difference is the DisplayPorts do not carry data, Thunderbolt 2 does carry data. The devil is indeed in the details.

This IS a can of worms, but if you're going to undertake such a project, you owe it to yourself to understand the ports, cables and protocols. And if by chance you buy inappropriate cables, you've just joined a well populated worldwide group. That's why I always buy cables from a vendor with generous return policies.

There are site on the web that try and explain it all. Those are far better places to go than a user to user forum. The subject is just too much for such as here if your goal is to learn something. And as a former HS science teacher now retired, it's always a worthy goal to learn rather than memorize.

Oct 16, 2021 11:30 AM in response to ku4hx

ku4hx wrote:

This IS a can of worms, but if you're going to undertake such a project, you owe it to yourself to understand the ports, cables and protocols. And if by chance you buy inappropriate cables, you've just joined a well populated worldwide group. That's why I always buy cables from a vendor with generous return policies.

Unfortunately I suffer from dyslexia and this makes it really difficult to understand and remember which ports, cables, adapters, etc I need. It really ought to be easier for the average user!

I'm guessing that as my MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019) has four Thunderbolt 3 ports and the iMac 21.5" (Mid 2014) has two Thunderbolt 1 ports, I need to purchase a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 1 cable (or a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 as the 2 is backwards compatible). Is that right?

If so, can someone please provide me with a link to this cable as I can't find it anywhere.

Thank you.

Which cable should I use for target disk mode?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.