You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Not recieving SMS without an internet connection

I have an iPhone 12, as well as a cellular provider with unlimited SMS talk/text. I have both iMessages and SMS messages turned on in my device settings, with Send & Receive set to my phone number.

I'm in a group chat that has someone with a android device, so from my understanding everything in that group chat is SMS. Everything sent is a green message bubble, so as far as I know imessage and internet connection shouldn't factor in at all.

The issue is, I only receive texts from that group chat when I do have an internet connection, and specifically only when connected to data, wifi is inconsistent. If I have data off, I stop receiving SMS messages. Why is that? How do I fix it? (If possible I'd like a fix without having to disable iMessage entirely, but if it's the only way oh well.)

Additional information that might be relevant: When I have no internet, I can still send SMS messages and they send normally, I just don't receive anything.

I found a similar issue which had a response claiming that iphones default to imessage when wifi is off, but that made no sense to me.

iPhone 12, iOS 14

Posted on Sep 22, 2021 9:56 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2021 11:35 AM

Any message with multiple recipients (i.e. group messages) are MMS messages. SMS messages are limited to a single recipient.

If you were to send an SMS message to multiple recipients, it would be individual text messages, each addressed to a single individual with no links between them or any way for multiple people to communicate with the "group".

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 22, 2021 11:35 AM in response to -Ronin-

Any message with multiple recipients (i.e. group messages) are MMS messages. SMS messages are limited to a single recipient.

If you were to send an SMS message to multiple recipients, it would be individual text messages, each addressed to a single individual with no links between them or any way for multiple people to communicate with the "group".

Not recieving SMS without an internet connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.