You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I set up a custom domain

Just upgraded to iCloud+ and am trying to use the custom domain feature. I do NOT want any of my old email "spam trap" domains (yahoo, gmail, me.com, iCloud, etc) tied to it, nor do I want my work domain (owned by my employer). I merely want a new, private, custom email domain for friends and family to reach me with. I cannot get beyond the "add your existing domains." I DON'T WANT TO ADD THEM, plus I have no idea how to "change their MX records" anyway.

Seems to me this feature is fundamentally broken and useless. Sell me a clue someone, please?

Posted on Sep 21, 2021 6:14 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2021 8:22 AM

You must already have an email account with your domain name. So if you have your own website, example.com, you can go to your website hosting platform and set up an email, you@example.com. You would change the MX records with your hosting platform to make your you@example.com email available to use in iCloud.

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 21, 2021 8:22 AM in response to wa4otj

You must already have an email account with your domain name. So if you have your own website, example.com, you can go to your website hosting platform and set up an email, you@example.com. You would change the MX records with your hosting platform to make your you@example.com email available to use in iCloud.

Sep 21, 2021 9:12 AM in response to cahume

Thanks, but that's not helpful... I am mystified by the point of the feature. What I had thought/hoped it would do is let me establish me@example.com which I could use for family/friends, and get the priority emails OUT of the spam-ridden me@yahoo.com, me@gmail.com, me@me.com, me@icloud.com, etc. If I go acquire me@example.com somewhere else, then why would I bother to move it to iCloud? Seems utterly useless...

Sep 21, 2021 10:34 AM in response to wa4otj

You have to purchase a domain from any Internet domain provider such as GoDaddy. You DO NOT need web hosting services. You'd be looking for domain registration only. I personally use HostSilo because they're cheap and renewals don't go up in price. The price for a .com is going to cost about ~$10-15/yr to own depending on the domain registrar. When you purchase one from another company, they give you access to something called a "DNS manager" which allows you to input the settings necessary for it to work with Apple's iCloud mail. If you're not sure how to do this, ask a friend that is knowledgeable in domain and web-hosting to help you out, or ask the domain registrar where you bought your domain to assist with this. Apple can't do this for you because they rely on partner companies like Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud, and Amazon Web Services to host their services for them. Internet domain registrar companies are all different in their prices and back-end software options on how to change DNS settings, so Apple can't automate this for you either unless they partnered with a specific company to do it. The problem is that many domain registrars will offer some choices at a reduced cost, and others will offer very extensive options at very expensive prices, so it's difficult to pick a company that will appeal to everybody's tastes. It's also beyond the scope of a consumer-centric hardware and device company to offer backbone Internet services such as domain registration without getting into complicated and very expensive infrastructure themselves - it's a completely separate type of business.

Sep 21, 2021 11:13 AM in response to Maleae

I know how to buy a domain. I already own several for my day job. I was under the impression that iCloud+ offered me a domain as a part of that package. What I am failing to understand here is what, exactly, is being offered under the guise of a "Custom Domain" under iCloud+ as it seems to not offer ANYTHING, other than the ability to rehome email from a custom domain I already own, to iCloud, and why I might wish to do that seems completely lost on me.

It appears Apple has created a fictional, nonsense "feature" out of whole cloth, a feature that has no practical value or use. If I go to GoDaddy and buy example.com, then why on earth would I have the slightest interest in connecting it to iCloud? I just don't get what the purpose is, or how I should see this as something valuable I would want as a part of iCloud+ or any other package. ProtonMail offers a custom domain name without this kind of deceptive nonsense. Why wouldn't I just go to ProtonMail and get their "Custom Domain" which is a real, trusted, and valuable service?

Perhaps I'm dense today, but I am at a total loss to understand this "feature" and how it helps me in any way. I just don't get it. I thought they were offering me a domain name. As far as I can see, they offer nothing of the sort.

Sep 21, 2021 11:51 AM in response to wa4otj

If you go to GoDaddy and buy a domain and want email with it, or go to ProtonMail and want to use a custom domain, both of those options are going to cost extra money. Bottom line is that this gives people a choice of having personal domain email hosting with full calendar and contact syncing across all of their Apple and/or iCloud-supported computing devices, similar to other popular services like Google Workspace or Outlook.com custom domains or Exchange Online (ala Exchange ActiveSync). You only need to purchase a domain.

If you already have iCloud+ (paid iCloud services), you get a place to host that custom domain email without having to pay extra for email hosting elsewhere. A domain name is always going to be cheaper than email hosting from a hosting provider, so it's a way to save some money. And since your calendar and contacts are kept in sync too, it's better than limited POP3/IMAP mail that only does email syncing. ProtonMail and GoDaddy's basic email don't offer calendar and contact syncing on your iDevices without using janky third-party software.

If you're happy paying someone else for some email hosting services, nobody's pulling your arm to switch to iCloud+. It's just an extra choice.

How do I set up a custom domain

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.