You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to disable Startup Chime?

I do not see this option on my iMac 2020 Catalina OS to disable startup sound... What should I do to disable the sound chime at startup?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 18, 2021 11:38 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2021 12:10 PM

for some reason apple removed the chime in catalina. you should be able to reactivate and/or deactivate the chime with terminal commands.

to enable it, open terminal (found in applications > utilities) and paste in this command

sudo nvram StartupMute=%00

and enter your password when asked.

then restart your mac to test. if that didn't work, you can try disabling it before re-enabling it. to disable it, paste in this command in terminal.

sudo nvram StartupMute=%01

again enter your password when asked.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 18, 2021 12:10 PM in response to keonedrew

for some reason apple removed the chime in catalina. you should be able to reactivate and/or deactivate the chime with terminal commands.

to enable it, open terminal (found in applications > utilities) and paste in this command

sudo nvram StartupMute=%00

and enter your password when asked.

then restart your mac to test. if that didn't work, you can try disabling it before re-enabling it. to disable it, paste in this command in terminal.

sudo nvram StartupMute=%01

again enter your password when asked.

How to disable Startup Chime?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.