You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Boot iMac from external SSD

Help, I have read that a great way to speed up my 2014 iMac is to boot from an external SSD. I have formatted the drive as directed and used Carbon Copy cloner and restarted holding down the option key but it does not recognise the drive as bootable. What am I doing wrong?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Aug 30, 2021 1:48 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 30, 2021 2:11 PM

when i set up an external startup drive for big sur, i didn't use a bootable clone. i did a clean install of the macOS on the external drive and then manually moved the things i wanted onto the external drive. to set it up, i started out by using the instructions in the well written user tip supplied below.

How to Setup and Use an External SSD as your Startup Disk - User Tip

now, when i want to boot into the external, i hold the option key on startup until i see the screen where i choose which drive i want. or if you are going to exclusively use the external drive, set it as your startup disk in SystemPreferences > StartupDisk

10 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 30, 2021 2:11 PM in response to Jack of Hearts

when i set up an external startup drive for big sur, i didn't use a bootable clone. i did a clean install of the macOS on the external drive and then manually moved the things i wanted onto the external drive. to set it up, i started out by using the instructions in the well written user tip supplied below.

How to Setup and Use an External SSD as your Startup Disk - User Tip

now, when i want to boot into the external, i hold the option key on startup until i see the screen where i choose which drive i want. or if you are going to exclusively use the external drive, set it as your startup disk in SystemPreferences > StartupDisk

Aug 30, 2021 4:52 PM in response to Jack of Hearts

Once you erase the entire disk and format it as the following:

you'll need to setup CCC as shown, Control (right) - click on the destination drive and select "Legacy Bootable Backup Assistant…" from the contextual menu.

Then click Start in the next window. This takes less than about ⅓ the time it takes to do a fresh install and migrate from the original boot drive or Time Machine with Migration Assistant.

Boot iMac from external SSD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.