You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I removed my payment Method because I no longer need it in my account, it still won’t allow me to download free apps or update any.

I’ve removed my payment method because I no longer need it and it was a VISA gift card but now I can’t download free apps or update any of my current ones, it asks me for a payment method and when I press ‘done’ since I don’t have one it still asks me the same thing. Is there any way I can fix this without having to make a whole new Apple ID?

iPhone 6s, iOS 14

Posted on Aug 14, 2021 8:59 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2021 12:10 PM

You may be able to. Redeem the gift card onto your account, and it should automatically cover the pending payments.

Once that is done, and nothing else is pending, you may be able to remove the Visa card at that point.

9 replies

Aug 14, 2021 11:24 AM in response to Mikaylah_s

No, if there’s a payment pending, it must complete successfully. Once its completed, you can request a refund for it.

See here to find any pending payments you may have: link-> See your purchase history for the App Store, iTunes Store, and more - Apple Support

And “None” can’t be selected if something is still pending to be charged.

Link-> If you can't remove your last payment method or use no payment method with your Apple ID - Apple Support

Aug 14, 2021 9:13 AM in response to Mikaylah_s

If it's requesting a payment method it means there is some charge pending that was not able to be completed or you have an active subscription. You must add a payment method to complete whatever is pending before it will let you use the account without a payment method.

You can get another Visa Gift card or borrow a card that can be verified. When everything is verified and functional, you should be able to remove it.

Creating a new account will not work unless you follow specific steps as new accounts need a verifiable payment method added to them before you can download free apps. Also, all your apps will remain tied to your original Apple ID and require it to update which will not work if the account remains unverified.

I removed my payment Method because I no longer need it in my account, it still won’t allow me to download free apps or update any.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.