You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Overheating MacBook, I need a GOOD cooling pad

Hi.

I use my MacBook Pro mainly for audio engineering, producing, and live shows.

In all of those scenarios, my MacBook is really overheating, to the point that my cpu focuses on cooling it down and not processing whatever I'm doing.

I'v bought a "cooling master notepad XL", that after some research it looked like this is my strongest option to buy.

In reality, this doesn't even do 50% of what I expect of it to do, the fans are super weak.

I'v realised that most of the cooling pads are preferring quite fans that strong ones, and I'm looking for the strong ones.

Can anyone recommend a good cooling pad for me? I'm talking about the strongest cooling pad that you know, I dont care about no ports and no noise, only strength

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 11, 2021 2:57 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 11, 2021 11:29 AM

You don't need a cooling pad you need to fix the temperature issue. Macs can and will manage their operating temperature.

Try resetting the smc.

Try the instructions here: Keep your Mac notebook within acceptable operating temperatures - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies

Aug 11, 2021 11:56 AM in response to stav178

stav178 wrote:

Hi.
I use my MacBook Pro mainly for audio engineering, producing, and live shows.
In all of those scenarios, my MacBook is really overheating, to the point that my cpu focuses on cooling it down and not processing whatever I'm doing.
I'v bought a "cooling master notepad XL", that after some research it looked like this is my strongest option to buy.
In reality, this doesn't even do 50% of what I expect of it to do, the fans are super weak.
I'v realised that most of the cooling pads are preferring quite fans that strong ones, and I'm looking for the strong ones.
Can anyone recommend a good cooling pad for me? I'm talking about the strongest cooling pad that you know, I dont care about no ports and no noise, only strength

Yes the 16" Intel Mac can get w̶a̶r̶m̶ hot under a heavy load and will throttle back processing in an effort to keep from shutting down completely— a fail safe mechanism.

I never used a cooling pad on any of MBP including the 16"— searching the web may be you best bet for reviews & recommendations.

One thing early on in the release of the 16" was discovered, which may or may not assist you in your efforts:

Plug the charger into a right side port and all other peripherals on the left hand ports, and see if this helps.

post back you findings

If no progress, it may defeat your purpose, but look at "Turbo Boost Switcher" to disable processor Turbo Boost.

http://tbswitcher.rugarciap.com/

Grant Bennet-Alder had this to say about Turbo-boost:

"Turbo Boost is a feature that allows one lightly loaded processor to run at faster and faster speeds until it is on the verge of overheating, then throttles itself back from the abyss. It is marketing specsmanship nonsense for most users, and does not make a tangible contribution to processing power for most Applications (except possibly compiling)."

Overheating MacBook, I need a GOOD cooling pad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.