You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will a cooling pad help with MBP’s fan and heat ?

I want to ask but will a cooling pad ( those where you put the pad under your laptop ) help with my MBP’s fan and heat ? Particularly the fan since it can be a bit noisy at some times. If so what are some cooling pads you would recommend ?

Posted on Aug 31, 2019 6:48 PM

6 replies

Aug 31, 2019 9:24 PM in response to ji131

ji131 Said:

"thank you! [...]doesn’t the MacBook pro’s fan run only when the heat is high ?"

-------

You're welcome. No, as the Laptop's Fan is always running; the Laptop Cooler makes no choice on how the MAcBook Pro's hardware operates, as it is a complete, separate stand-alone device.

Use this Link for Tips: Keep your Mac Notebook Within Acceptable Operating Temperatures - Apple Support

Aug 31, 2019 8:08 PM in response to ji131

Yes. It will lower the heat. But, know that the cooler, itself, would have no impact on the MBP's fan's "choice" of how and when to run.

Based on my prior experiences, look into Targus brand products. They most definitely are affective in this. Get one that has an arch (to allow for affective cooling) and that powers off an an external device (to reduce power consumption from the Mac).

Will a cooling pad help with MBP’s fan and heat ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.