You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

watchOS 7.6 Fitness app crash/minimize

Anyone else who has issues with the fitness/activity app keeps on minimizing/crashing after the 7.6 OS update? Mine won't stay open and keeps on minimizing/crashing and losing GPS signal, making the same walk much shorter than before. Seems like the update messed up the activity tracker feature. The battery usage is also really bad now, can only be on for like 8-10 hours, before update I could use the Watch for more than 1 day.

Thanks.

Apple Watch Series 5, watchOS 7

Posted on Jul 21, 2021 12:56 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 21, 2021 8:27 PM

Hello HKTh,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities. From your post, it sounds like there are issues with just the Fitness apps on the Apple Watch. We'll do what we can to help.

If you haven't already, try restarting your Apple Watch: How to restart your Apple Watch

As for the battery usage, try the suggestions here: Batteries - Maximizing Performance - Apple

Take care.

10 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 21, 2021 8:27 PM in response to HKTh

Hello HKTh,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities. From your post, it sounds like there are issues with just the Fitness apps on the Apple Watch. We'll do what we can to help.

If you haven't already, try restarting your Apple Watch: How to restart your Apple Watch

As for the battery usage, try the suggestions here: Batteries - Maximizing Performance - Apple

Take care.

Jul 23, 2021 5:21 PM in response to HKTh

I have a series 3 watch with only 1 3rd party app installed - MapMyFitness by Under Armour. After 7.6, MapMyFitness crashes whenever I try to start it.

I've tried restarting my watch

I've tried force re-starting my watch

I've tried uninstalling the app and reinstalling it

I purchased the watch for use with this application so I'd love to get it working again

Jul 27, 2021 3:05 PM in response to kathy2064

The original poster implied they had more systemic issues - battery and other fitness app giving wrong mileage. For me, the built-in fitness app works fine. Its just that I have so much data, etc. in MapMyFitness that I want to keep using it.

I suspect we are going to have to wait for Under Armor to do something about it. Its often the case that an app developer can get away with something mildly unhygienic in one release but it breaks in another. If app breakage was widespread, I assume Apple would be working on a fix. Given the lack of interest here, I assume the app is going to have to change.

Jul 28, 2021 10:41 PM in response to HKTh

For me, the Apple Fitness app started working after the 3rd restart of the watch and iPhone. The battery also went back to normal.

I also uninstalled all 3rd party apps and changed the settings for when to "return to watch view" on the Watch settings.

It was set for 2 minutes by default, I changed this to 1 hour. After this and the 3 reboots of the watch + removal of all 3rd party apps, battery usage is back to normal and fitness tracking works fine again. I have not yet re-installed the 3rd party apps, but I expect during so will not break anything.

I know this doesn't help most of you, as it seems you have issues with a 3rd party tracker app, but I wanted to share how I got my watch working again.

Hope you will be able to find a solution for your watch also, wish you all a great day.

Jul 28, 2021 10:46 PM in response to HKTh

Thank you for the information! I love the community engagement.

For me the solution is that my watch is in the box to get sold. This is the last straw. Every single upgrade fails due to memory until I reboot and/or uninstall my one app. Now that one app no longer works. One app! Come on Apple.

Too poor an experience to endure. Don’t sell an older product if the experience is this bad!

Jul 29, 2021 7:44 AM in response to jrwaters2

Since my post, I have reached out to MapMyFitness. They have updated their app to version 21.15.1 and so have I it has since been resolved. Working in the app world, I know it is not uncommon that operating systems are updated and apps/programs need to be updated to accommodate the updates. It can be an inconvenience but I'm glad it has been resolved.

Aug 13, 2021 7:30 AM in response to HKTh

I'm having this same issue with my Apple Watch Series 3. I'm running OS 7.6.1, and my watch will crash and turn itself off approx 3-5 minutes into my run. The only way I can turn it back on is by performing a reset (holding the wheel and side buttons until the Apple logo appears). This take about 5 minutes, and then usually crashes 1-2 more times. I thought it was just when using the Runkeeper app, but I switched to Apple's workout app (that comes with the Watch) and other fitness apps, and the same thing happens. It has done this 6 days in a row including today.

Doing the steps listed from Nicholas_B2 above didn't work for me.

Aug 13, 2021 7:49 AM in response to lmski73

I agree with what you said - and I had mentioned above that I thought UA would have to solve it.

My biggest underlying frustration is the the watch OS seems bloated for the memory of the Apple Watch Series 3. So, having my only app stop working was final straw. Every single (without exception) OS upgrade fails unless I manually uninstall that app and reboot before doing the upgrade.

Its great that apple keeps an older watch in the lineup for people who want a cool product without the hefty price. I love that. And I love that they try to keep that watch current with OS updates. So, even though I find this frustrating, I think it comes with the territory of trying to provide a long support life. Hence my replacement watch will probably be an SE or an Apple Watch 7 assuming they come out in mid Sept.

watchOS 7.6 Fitness app crash/minimize

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.