You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trackpad secondary click opens spotlight

With macOS Big Sur 11.4 I have a problem: Secondary click with trackpad brings up Spotlight instead of the usual contextual menu. Rather distracting and inefficient working result. Thank you for a fix!

Posted on Jun 17, 2021 12:02 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 17, 2021 1:57 AM

Did this just started with 11.4?

How are you doing a secondary click: click with two fingers, control-click, click on a designated area of the trackpad?

Does it do the same thing, either way?

I am not aware of a programmatic way to choose this kind of behavior.

Please test to see if the same happens while booted in Safe Mode.

Also test while booted normally and logged in to a new user account. Same problem?

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 17, 2021 1:57 AM in response to emargherita

Did this just started with 11.4?

How are you doing a secondary click: click with two fingers, control-click, click on a designated area of the trackpad?

Does it do the same thing, either way?

I am not aware of a programmatic way to choose this kind of behavior.

Please test to see if the same happens while booted in Safe Mode.

Also test while booted normally and logged in to a new user account. Same problem?

Jun 17, 2021 11:58 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thank you! If I hold the control, or a few other keys (but not the letters) the usual contextual menus comes back! I used to tap with two fingers, anywhere on the trackpad.

First it happened after a restart, I had 11.4 before without this problem. Actually, I made a restart because the mouse (with cord) did not work. But now I figured out that the mouse got blocked (hardware problem). Having now solved this, and reset the functions of the mouse - surprise: the tap with two fingers, anywhere on the trackpad went back to normal. I can only guess, that there might be some hidden connection between the trackpad and mouse setting.

Summary: all fine and thank you for the alternative of secondary clicking with control key pressed down.

Trackpad secondary click opens spotlight

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.