You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Charging iphone 12 with mac charger

I am using a MacBook pro 13" (2019) Charger(61w) and Macsafe wireless to charge my new iphone 12. Is it safe and okay for battery life to charge like this every time or I need to buy a new iphone charger?

iPhone 12, iOS 14

Posted on May 15, 2021 9:37 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 15, 2021 9:54 AM

It is okay. See the following from Charge your iPhone with an iPad or Mac notebook power adapter - Apple Support

You can use Apple USB power adapters for iPad and Mac notebooks to charge iPhone, iPod, Apple Watch, AirPods, and other Apple products.

and also see: Fast charge your iPhone - Apple Support

6 replies

May 16, 2021 12:01 AM in response to rabbi_ahmed

It is okay to use the charger for your MacBook to charge your phone. Your phone is not going to draw any more power than it needs to charge. If you have an adapter that gives off more wattage than the device needs, it's simply only going to use what it needs. It's like if you plug in whatever into the outlet, the outlet has way more available than the device that's plugged into it, however, the device only pulls what it needs.

It may charge faster than normal only because it's getting a higher wattage than the other chargers have which means that the other charger can't give as much as the phone would take so the phone gets the maximum that the charger could give. The MacBook charger has extra power so it can give the phone more power. You are fine using the charger that you are using to charge your phone.

Charging iphone 12 with mac charger

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.