You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to register AirTag to different user/phone number?

I just bought 8 Air Tags for use by my family. When another family member went to activate the Air Tag using their iPhone, the phone number associated with the activation was my phone number (presumably because I was the one who bought them?), not hers. What's strange is it shows her e-mail address, but my phone number???

The setup screen said "Register AirTag to your Apple ID"...."This will be associated with the personal information you have provided to Apple."

Does anyone know how to fix this? Is this occurring because I bought these through the Apple Store using my login information?

iPhone 12 Pro Max

Posted on Apr 30, 2021 4:31 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 1, 2021 9:26 AM

Resetting the airbag will make no difference at all.

I had a similar issue in that the email address was correct but the phone number was showing up as my old 'backup' iPhone whose number is registered as trusted phone number on my iCloud account.

The only way I could get past this registration with the correct email and phone number was to remove the 2nd trusted phone number from my iCloud account and then retry. It appeared correctly then.

I would suggest looking at your iCloud account security settings on the https://appleid.apple.com website and see if any of the info appearing in the AirTag registration is being used as trusted email or phone number. Try removing them if they are (you can always re-add later) and then re-register the AirTag after resetting it.

This certainly fixed my issue. Best of luck.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 1, 2021 9:26 AM in response to index777

Resetting the airbag will make no difference at all.

I had a similar issue in that the email address was correct but the phone number was showing up as my old 'backup' iPhone whose number is registered as trusted phone number on my iCloud account.

The only way I could get past this registration with the correct email and phone number was to remove the 2nd trusted phone number from my iCloud account and then retry. It appeared correctly then.

I would suggest looking at your iCloud account security settings on the https://appleid.apple.com website and see if any of the info appearing in the AirTag registration is being used as trusted email or phone number. Try removing them if they are (you can always re-add later) and then re-register the AirTag after resetting it.

This certainly fixed my issue. Best of luck.

How to register AirTag to different user/phone number?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.