You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Are my messages backed up on Icloud?

Few months back I got locked out of my Iphone and it got disabled. At this point I am willing to factory-reset the phone and restore it with a backup, are my messages on my phone backed up on icloud? I watched few Youtube videos and it seems messages aren't backed up on icloud by default. I don't remember turning it the setting on or off. Is there still a way I can get my messages onto icloud?

iPhone 8, iOS 13

Posted on Mar 22, 2021 1:43 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 22, 2021 2:01 PM

If you're using iCloud Syncing for Messages, messages are not part of your backup. However, when you log your phone back into your Apple ID, the messages should be synced back to the phone.

If you aren't using iCloud Syncing for Messsages, then the messages are part of the back up and will be restored along with everything else.

Now that your phone is disabled, you really can't change anything. Restore your phone and log back into iMessages and hope for the best.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 22, 2021 2:01 PM in response to Kotayro

If you're using iCloud Syncing for Messages, messages are not part of your backup. However, when you log your phone back into your Apple ID, the messages should be synced back to the phone.

If you aren't using iCloud Syncing for Messsages, then the messages are part of the back up and will be restored along with everything else.

Now that your phone is disabled, you really can't change anything. Restore your phone and log back into iMessages and hope for the best.

Are my messages backed up on Icloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.