You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud photos thumbnails consume entirety of iPhone storage

Hello, a friend of mine uses iCloud photos and has several hundred thousand photos on it. The iPhone settings are configured so that only a thumbnail preview is stored until the photo is pressed and then the full resolution one downloads. Unfortunately, she can no longer take photos since the storage (64GB?) is full, even though there is nothing on the phone other than iCloud photos previews. Is there anything we can do about this issue?

Thank you

iPhone 11

Posted on Mar 21, 2021 10:14 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 21, 2021 6:11 PM

Well, yes. Thank you for the very insightful response, I wasn't aware storage optimization was not something of magic...

The point of my question being is there a way to reduce the number of thumbnails rendered and stored on a given device without deleting photos from the library. Of course the simple answer here is # of photos = # of thumbnails, but I would like to find a solution where this is not the case. This could easily be possible with better cloud integration, where there is no need to require that a user store their entire library's worth of thumbnails should they choose. Including a thumbnail obviously improves the user experience, but there should be an option to have a slower, more capable system where there is a max number of loaded thumbnails. A user should be able to access their entire library via a web browser and minimal available storage. In the same way, this functionality should be an integrated option into Photos. Why offer up to 2TB of storage on an 'integrated' iCloud plan without this functionality when this is what many users will inevitably use it for?

The closest configuration I have found is to locally disable iCloud Photos and enable Photo Stream. And then view/sort the photos via a browser. I am not yet sure if albums can be synchronized to the iPhone without a mac, but I am pretty sure albums can be made and syncronized to the iPhone from a mac, although I'm not certain if this is still true with icloud photos. In any case, a suggestion along these lines or similar may have actually proven useful instead of wise remarks.

Thank you.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 21, 2021 6:11 PM in response to LACAllen

Well, yes. Thank you for the very insightful response, I wasn't aware storage optimization was not something of magic...

The point of my question being is there a way to reduce the number of thumbnails rendered and stored on a given device without deleting photos from the library. Of course the simple answer here is # of photos = # of thumbnails, but I would like to find a solution where this is not the case. This could easily be possible with better cloud integration, where there is no need to require that a user store their entire library's worth of thumbnails should they choose. Including a thumbnail obviously improves the user experience, but there should be an option to have a slower, more capable system where there is a max number of loaded thumbnails. A user should be able to access their entire library via a web browser and minimal available storage. In the same way, this functionality should be an integrated option into Photos. Why offer up to 2TB of storage on an 'integrated' iCloud plan without this functionality when this is what many users will inevitably use it for?

The closest configuration I have found is to locally disable iCloud Photos and enable Photo Stream. And then view/sort the photos via a browser. I am not yet sure if albums can be synchronized to the iPhone without a mac, but I am pretty sure albums can be made and syncronized to the iPhone from a mac, although I'm not certain if this is still true with icloud photos. In any case, a suggestion along these lines or similar may have actually proven useful instead of wise remarks.

Thank you.

Mar 21, 2021 10:35 AM in response to ARV980

ARV980 wrote:

Hello, a friend of mine uses iCloud photos and has several hundred thousand photos on it. The iPhone settings are configured so that only a thumbnail preview is stored until the photo is pressed and then the full resolution one downloads. Unfortunately, she can no longer take photos since the storage (64GB?) is full, even though there is nothing on the phone other than iCloud photos previews. Is there anything we can do about this issue?
Thank you

Out of space is out of space.

Optimization is not magic.

He must have 64GB of previews.

iCloud photos thumbnails consume entirety of iPhone storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.