You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Some full resolution photos cannot be download to my iPhone while turn off icloud photo

Hi, there,

My 200GB icloud capacity is full, so I decided to turn off icloud photo. However, the alert message pop up that ' this iphone was not abler to download 1118 full resolutions photos and videos. If you continue, the low resolutions versions of these photos and videos will be removed.' stopped me to process it because I am afraid I will be in trouble if I do so. Really appreciate if you can share some comments for me.

My goal: Download all full resolution photos to replace low resolution photos in my iphone, and turned the icloud photo off. Keep the photos storing in iphone complete.

I have few related questions:

1. The system ever reminded me to leave 20+GB space to download full-res photos from icloud while I tried to turn off icloud photo firstly. But no remind after that. I am not sure the download failure is caused by iphone capacity problem or not.
  2. As attached pop-up message shows, low res photos will be deleted locally, but original ones will keep in icloud without automatic download?
  3. If I process the item2 and delete these low res photos locally, how can I know which photos are keeping in icloud but not in my iphone? I don't want to check one by one. In other word, any symbol or sign in those low res photos in my iphone, and filter them from ten thousands of photos quickly?

iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 14

Posted on May 3, 2021 6:23 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 6, 2021 7:09 AM

Hi, SnickZ,

Thanks for your comments. Yes. The message appeared while I tried to click to turn off icloud photo. But I did nothing finally because I am afraid to lose photos.

You mean the only right way is to have enough space in my iphone to download 1K photos, right? I will try if so.

BRs,

Kevin

Similar questions

5 replies

May 4, 2021 12:55 PM in response to Gromitgromit

Hello Gromitgromit,

It sounds as though you're wanting to store your photos to your iPhone, and stop syncing to iCloud. Apple Support Communities is a great place for help, and we know how important it is to save your photos to your device. To clarify a bit further, are you turning off iCloud Photos prior to getting this message, or are you taking a different step immediately prior to this message appearing?

If this prompt is appearing when turning off iCloud Photos, it does sound as though you've taken the right steps to confirm that you have enough available space on your device. In addition to confirming the available space have you restarted your iPhone? If not, restart your iPhone next as outlined in the following article.

Restart your iPhone

you'll also want to make sure you're following the steps outlined in the article below to download your photos.

Download iCloud photos and videos

Take care!

May 9, 2021 7:39 AM in response to Gromitgromit

Thank you for those additional details Gromitgromit.

You would need enough available space on your iPhone if to download the original photos on your iPhone. If there's not enough available space you would continue to get the messages you're seeings.

The next option to prevent any deletion of information would be to transfer photos to a computer. There are several ways you can do this.

If you use a PC you can import photos from iCloud using iCloud for Windows. More information on to import photos from iCloud can be found in the following article.

Set up and use iCloud for Windows

If you use a Mac you can set up the Photos app on your Mac to download the original photos from iCloud. The section titled Download copies of your photos and videos of the following article outlines those steps.

Set up and use iCloud Photos

For photos stored on your iPhone, and not iCloud you can transfer those photos to your Mac or PC by connecting your iPhone to your computer, and follow the steps in the article below.

Transfer photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If you don't have access to a computer, and want to manage the storage on your iPhone to download those photos you can find helpful information for managing your devices storage in the following linked article.

How to check the storage on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Have a wonderful day!

May 11, 2021 8:11 AM in response to Gromitgromit

That's a fantastic question Kevin,

There isn't a specific way to identify which photos on your device are not downloaded in full resolution. Upon clicking on the photo to open the photo would automatically download in full resolution. This information can be found in the following article.

How to download content from iCloud when using Optimized Storage - Apple

Have a great week!

Some full resolution photos cannot be download to my iPhone while turn off icloud photo

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.