You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i erase my mac to factory settings without a disc?

Trying to reset my old IMac to factory settings so it can be erased and recycled. I no longer have the os disc from 2010 which seems to be required for reset. is there a work around? I want to get rid of this old behemoth but can't until it's wiped!

Posted on Jan 22, 2021 1:20 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2021 1:58 PM

The 2010's were a problem because they were right on the edge between the install media and switching over to download only.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202313

If yours was not updated, you can't do anything without the original install DVD; if your firmware was, recovery may or may not work. I did some extensive testing at the time and the efforts to erase/reset were only successful one out of 5 different tries.

If you can boot from an external clone, you could just use your Disk Utility and try to erase the drive - that might work.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 22, 2021 1:58 PM in response to kmsw213

The 2010's were a problem because they were right on the edge between the install media and switching over to download only.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202313

If yours was not updated, you can't do anything without the original install DVD; if your firmware was, recovery may or may not work. I did some extensive testing at the time and the efforts to erase/reset were only successful one out of 5 different tries.

If you can boot from an external clone, you could just use your Disk Utility and try to erase the drive - that might work.

how do i erase my mac to factory settings without a disc?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.