You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Firmware/EFI forgot

Hi ,

I have iMac 2015 27" high sierra .

I need to delete firmware/EFI,

can't get to recovery mode , but I can get through it on the computer , still can't remove it because I need the password I forgot it .

i have read here and there that I can see the password through terminal when I write

Sudo nvram -p

Sudo nvram -d security-password

(password string)

tried to remove ram and pressed command+option+p+r.

nothing happens when press the buttons

used this

sudo firmwarepasswd -setpasswd                     # Set a new password
sudo firmwarepasswd -check                         # Check whether a password is set
sudo firmwarepasswd -verify                        # Verify your password
sudo firmwarepasswd -delete                        # Disable the password

still confused can somebody help me?

Posted on Jan 4, 2021 2:43 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 5, 2021 7:34 PM

If you have an EFI Firmware Password enabled which shows you a screen with a padlock and password prompt box as seen in this Apple article:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204455

and you don't know the password, then you must take the Mac to Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider along with valid proof of purchase which shows your name and serial number so that Apple can remove the firmware lock. Contact Apple or the AASP first so you know exactly what you need for valid proof of purchase along with the proper identification to prove you are you. This is the only way to remove a firmware lock if you do not know the password.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 5, 2021 7:34 PM in response to jakesoli

If you have an EFI Firmware Password enabled which shows you a screen with a padlock and password prompt box as seen in this Apple article:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204455

and you don't know the password, then you must take the Mac to Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider along with valid proof of purchase which shows your name and serial number so that Apple can remove the firmware lock. Contact Apple or the AASP first so you know exactly what you need for valid proof of purchase along with the proper identification to prove you are you. This is the only way to remove a firmware lock if you do not know the password.

Firmware/EFI forgot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.