You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why did my Apple Watch stop tracking activity correctly?

Hi, after a little more than one year of use my Apple Watch series 4 (watchOS 7.2) suddenly stopped tracking activity. Basically the Activity app is not detecting any movement (red ring remains at 0), while it detects me standing even while I am sleeping. Also the SleepWatch app is having problems, it detects 100% restful sleep and thinks I am sleeping even when I am just sitting. The red ring appears to be working on. Steps are detected. Heart rate and HRV are detected. The hand washing app seems to be working ok (it starts when I start washing hands and stops if I stop moving the hands). This is to say that I think that the sensors and accelerometers appear to be working, at least to some extent.

I tried to restart the devices after turning off activity tracking, but there was no change.

Is there anything else to check?

Apple Watch Series 4, watchOS 7

Posted on Dec 23, 2020 5:26 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 24, 2020 4:14 PM

Hi neurat!

It sounds like your Apple Watch isn’t tracking your activity accurately, and we're happy to help.

You can start by restarting both devices: 

Restart your iPhone

How to restart your Apple Watch

Next, you can try making sure that Apple Watch and iPhone are fully up to date:

Update your Apple Watch

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Finally, you can try unpairing the Apple Watch from the iPhone and setting it up again:

Unpair and erase your Apple Watch

If the issue is still present, you should contact Apple Support using this link:

Contact Apple Support

Cheers!

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 24, 2020 4:14 PM in response to neurat

Hi neurat!

It sounds like your Apple Watch isn’t tracking your activity accurately, and we're happy to help.

You can start by restarting both devices: 

Restart your iPhone

How to restart your Apple Watch

Next, you can try making sure that Apple Watch and iPhone are fully up to date:

Update your Apple Watch

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Finally, you can try unpairing the Apple Watch from the iPhone and setting it up again:

Unpair and erase your Apple Watch

If the issue is still present, you should contact Apple Support using this link:

Contact Apple Support

Cheers!

Why did my Apple Watch stop tracking activity correctly?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.