You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External Drive on Mac mini M1 using the USB 3 port

I have Mokin enclosure with a M2 500 WD Blue SSD in it. The usb c port does not recognized it. But USB 2 port does.

Any answers would be appreciated

Steve S

Mac mini, 10.15

Posted on Dec 19, 2020 3:26 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2020 5:01 PM

You'll be able to use an external drive, but you won't be able to boot from it.

I have heard from several other users that only NVMe M.2 2280 SSD's are bootable.

I have purchased one but the enclosure won't be here till Wednesday. I'll report back on whether it actually worked or not.

If it doesn't work then I'll be sending my M1 back for a refund, as I need to have a bootable drive.

God only knows if Apple will fix this issue.

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 20, 2020 5:01 PM in response to scs3325

You'll be able to use an external drive, but you won't be able to boot from it.

I have heard from several other users that only NVMe M.2 2280 SSD's are bootable.

I have purchased one but the enclosure won't be here till Wednesday. I'll report back on whether it actually worked or not.

If it doesn't work then I'll be sending my M1 back for a refund, as I need to have a bootable drive.

God only knows if Apple will fix this issue.

Dec 26, 2020 9:07 PM in response to scs3325

scs3325 wrote:

Check this out

https://eclecticlight.co/2020/12/22/booting-an-m1-mac-from-an-external-disk-it-is-possible/

I made a M1 external boot drive yesterday with an Inland Premium NVMe M.2 2280 SSD. It works great. I have since helped others make their own M1 boot drive. Theirs works great too. So far, however, I have only been able to make one using Thunderbolt 3 (not USB-C, USB 3, or any other connector). I am looking into working on a way to get USB-C and/or USB 3 to work.

External Drive on Mac mini M1 using the USB 3 port

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.