You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

True or False? Bootcamp on Mac Big Sur does not recognize USB 3

I have a Samsung FIT USB 3.1 flash drive. I inserted it in my 2014 iMac running Big Sur. Finder and DiskUtil both recognize the drive. Bootcamp does not. I tried my old Western Digital Passport external USB drive and it was recognized by all. I am fairly sure my Passport drive is USB 2.

iMac 27″, OS X 10.10

Posted on Jun 21, 2023 3:28 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 21, 2023 11:40 PM

See: Install Windows 10 on your Mac with Boot Camp Assistant - Apple Support

To my knowledge you can't use Boot Camp Assistant to install Windows to an external drive.

FWIW, Windows 10 and later supports USB 3.1.

3 replies

Jun 22, 2023 5:08 PM in response to dialabrain

Thanks for the reply but I am a bit confused :)

Boot Camp assistant wants you to use an external drive to put windows on it so you can boot to that drive and install windows on the partition you allocate with Boot Camp. At least I thought this is how it works. It is the Mac Boot Camp which is not recognizing my Samsung flash drive. I am thinking it is because Boot Camp does not recognize usb 3 flash drives (because Boot Camp did work with what I think is another usb 2 external drive).

True or False? Bootcamp on Mac Big Sur does not recognize USB 3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.