You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot print on Samsung XPress printer after installing Big Sur

After installing Big Sur I cannot print on a Samsung XPress M2825ND printer. I've tried everything at my disposal. The printer driver is installed but it just won't get acceptance when I try to add it on. It was fine before Big Sur. Any solutions out there?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Dec 7, 2020 8:17 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2020 9:30 AM

That M2825 ND is supported by Apple's built-in AirPrint, and drivers from HP/Samsung are no longer needed.

With the device powered on and networked, visit System Preferences : Printers & Scanners panel, and right-click on the printer icon to choose Reset printing system… . This will allow you to re-add the device, but instead of choosing Samsung drivers, choose AirPrint instead, and then re-add the device. Back on the Printers & Scanners panel, right-click on the 2825ND icon, and set as your default printer. Print something.

My Samsung ML-2955ND laser is supported this way on Big Sur, and works like a charm.

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 7, 2020 9:30 AM in response to Aidez-moi

That M2825 ND is supported by Apple's built-in AirPrint, and drivers from HP/Samsung are no longer needed.

With the device powered on and networked, visit System Preferences : Printers & Scanners panel, and right-click on the printer icon to choose Reset printing system… . This will allow you to re-add the device, but instead of choosing Samsung drivers, choose AirPrint instead, and then re-add the device. Back on the Printers & Scanners panel, right-click on the 2825ND icon, and set as your default printer. Print something.

My Samsung ML-2955ND laser is supported this way on Big Sur, and works like a charm.

Dec 7, 2020 12:13 PM in response to Aidez-moi

Somethings not right. Power off the Samsung printer. Reboot your Mac. Power on the Samsung device, and try again. This should not be necessary, but worth a try…

I believe, based on my /etc/cups/printers.conf file that I am using an IPP connection for my printer, but I would have to start all over to walk through the setup process from the beginning.

Dec 7, 2020 2:25 PM in response to VikingOSX

Still struggling. I've tried twice powering off the printer, rebooting the Mac, powering on the Samsung and trying again. At the point of trying to enter all the details using the AirPrint route I get the message 'Unable to verify the printer on your network. Unable to connect the IP due to an error'

??

I can't get beyond this

Dec 7, 2020 4:38 PM in response to Aidez-moi

Hello,

Would it be correct to assume that the printer is connected to a Wi-Fi router via Ethernet? A connection to a router (such as an AirPort base station) via USB is not supported for AirPrint.

As you know, this is a printer supporting the driverless AirPrint technology. However, is AirPrint also enabled? Until now (including macOS Catalina 10.15), a "normal" printer driver has been available. When/if such a driver does not work with macOS 11 Big Sur, the printer will have to rely upon its AirPrint ability.

If you have access to an iPhone or iPad, you could check whether the M2825ND appears there as an AirPrint printer.

If not, you may have to check whether AirPrint has been enabled on the printer:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05587132

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05790194#G11.5509466

Additionally, you may want to check the router settings (Bonjour/mDNS, IPP).

Cannot print on Samsung XPress printer after installing Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.