You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine playing up again

I am running the latest Catalina OS on a 1 year old Mac Mini. I have had several problems with Time Machine, which I rely upon, most in connection with Mac Mail. (I have also had many problems with Mac Mail too, but I don't suppose the two are related.)

Almost a year ago I was unable to recover my archived emails. Now the problem is occurring again.

I have set TM to archive all files (not software). If I open my Documents folder (for example) then enter TM, the back button displays and I can move back in time and see all the files in Documents.

But if I open Mac mail and enter TM, a window comes up with the number of files in that email Inbox shown at the top, but nothing else appears in the window. The back button is greyed out, and I can do nothing but return.

But if I display hidden files, enter backup.backupdb and chose a date, the emails are all there. (I actually can't verify they are ALL there, but many of them are and I presume it is all.)

Thus if I want to recover an old email, I cannot do it except by searching through the strange and difficult file system used by Mail.

Is this a common problem? Is there a solution please?

Posted on Nov 24, 2020 7:53 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2020 4:03 PM

Many if not all have this issue. Started with Catalina and continues with Big Sur. For some reason worked fine with Mojave and earlier but now cannot go back in time (only with mail). Like you the only way to get old emails is by going into the mail/V folder and searching which can take forever. Please report this to Apple (the the more feedback the better).

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 29, 2020 4:03 PM in response to unkleE

Many if not all have this issue. Started with Catalina and continues with Big Sur. For some reason worked fine with Mojave and earlier but now cannot go back in time (only with mail). Like you the only way to get old emails is by going into the mail/V folder and searching which can take forever. Please report this to Apple (the the more feedback the better).

Time Machine playing up again

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.