You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Effective Laptop Cooler (AKA Cooling Pad) for a Mac Mini?

Most Effective Laptop Cooler for a 2018 or Later Mac Mini:

I am looking to purchase a Mac Mini. Having performed research, I've found out that the Mac Mini reportedly gets hot - particularly those that are faulty.

Which Laptop Cooler (AKA Cooling Pad) to Get for my Mac Mini 2020?

I've found out that there are many, many Laptop Coolers that are preferred for use with a Mac Mini - all of which have their pros and cons when it comes to their affect on a Mac Mini.

If anyone has experienced a 100% successful use of placing their Mac Mini on their Laptop Cooler, please let me know.

One Best Example Source: Best Cooling Pads for Mac Mini in 2020 - iMore.com

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Oct 21, 2020 6:47 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2020 2:04 PM

My main computer is 27" iMac for heavy load etc. I am using 2014 Mac Mini in the spare room as my home office, during the pandemic time (Zoom use).

I have explored few modifications, in hope to cool the Mac Mini, including cooling pad.

Because Mac Mini "intakes" the air from from bottom and "exhausts" at the back of the vent.

I found:

a. The air flow direction from the pad could play a factor -- I think the air direction need to blow into the bottom of Mac Mini.

b. The space between the cooling pad surface and Mac Mini -- I had to put a little wedge to "suspend" my Mac Mini.

c. I also had to add wedges to suspend the pad to have more air flow.

The result: I can get in the mid 140's F when I am on the Zoom and multiple Google Chrome browser tabs.

Issues: The noise -- my Targus cooling pad does have significant fan noise. I am using external power (from my Thunderbolt display when needed), rather drain power from Mac Mini - which I found also can affect Mac Mini's temperature.

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 21, 2020 2:04 PM in response to TheLittles

My main computer is 27" iMac for heavy load etc. I am using 2014 Mac Mini in the spare room as my home office, during the pandemic time (Zoom use).

I have explored few modifications, in hope to cool the Mac Mini, including cooling pad.

Because Mac Mini "intakes" the air from from bottom and "exhausts" at the back of the vent.

I found:

a. The air flow direction from the pad could play a factor -- I think the air direction need to blow into the bottom of Mac Mini.

b. The space between the cooling pad surface and Mac Mini -- I had to put a little wedge to "suspend" my Mac Mini.

c. I also had to add wedges to suspend the pad to have more air flow.

The result: I can get in the mid 140's F when I am on the Zoom and multiple Google Chrome browser tabs.

Issues: The noise -- my Targus cooling pad does have significant fan noise. I am using external power (from my Thunderbolt display when needed), rather drain power from Mac Mini - which I found also can affect Mac Mini's temperature.

Oct 21, 2020 2:43 PM in response to den.thed

den.thed Said:

A. Clearance From Cables:

It is almost impossible to block the rear vent, because the cables plugged into the ports will provide plenty of clearance from being too close the wall or a cabinet back.[...]

That is a great point about the cables proving all the Clearance. So that puts that aside.

———

B. Ventilations:

[...]Also note that the 2018/2020 model, has a bigger vent slot and cooling fan compared to the previous 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2014 models.”

I saw that and wondered where all the intake is from. samtenor saysMini ‘intakes’ the air from from bottom and ‘exhausts’ at the back of the vent.” So, it would seem that a laptop cooler would, in fact, do part the cooling-down job.

Just got back from a local Goodwill and picked up two new-in-the-box cooling fans. Made sure they are clean out, and they work fine with no loud vroom noise.

Oct 22, 2020 7:16 AM in response to TheLittles

TheLittles wrote:

A. Clearance From Cables:
That is a great point about the cables proving all the Clearance. So that puts that aside.

You're welcome.

B. Ventilations:
I saw that and wondered where all the intake is from. samtenor saysMini ‘intakes’ the air from from bottom and ‘exhausts’ at the back of the vent.” So, it would seem that a laptop cooler would, in fact, do part the cooling-down job.

Sam is correct, the air intake is a small gap around the front of the bottom cover.

Personally I work my Mac Mini's fairly hard from time to time and never felt the need to use anything more than a little help from MacFanControl.

I did however, run across a decent looking cooler for the 2010 thru 2018 unibody Mac Mini's.

https://www.speed-designs.com/speed-mac-mini-cooling-base

Oct 21, 2020 6:50 AM in response to TheLittles

Most Effective Laptop Cooler for a Mac Mini:

Determining which to use all seems to be circumstantial. These would be my circumstances.

Here are the Specs I Need to Consider:

• Use: I plan to use it for Web Browsing and Playing Media (Music and TV). So 16GB RAM, 256GB HDD.
  • Environment: Varies (Home: Open Space and Angled or a Cafe: Closed Space and Low-Profile). Always indoors.
  • Noise: No speedy "Vroom" noise from the fan
  • Fan Speed: Uncertain
  • Height: Uncertain
  • Lift: Uncertain
  • Angle in Degrees: Uncertain
  • Flat: Uncertain
  • Color: Uncertain (i.e. from Lights)

Oct 21, 2020 8:33 AM in response to TheLittles

Naw' that won't help like it does with laptops, because all of the air exchange is on the back. Plus the bottom rubber cover has a pretty high R value.

2018/2020

Late 2012

Your best bet is to use the Exhaust Sensor-based Control of MacFanControl and have it slowly ramp up the Exhaust Fan as the CPU/GPU temperature increases. see > https://crystalidea.com/macs-fan-control

FWIW I've been using MacFanControl on my iMac's and Mac Mini's for many years and have never had a hardware issue related to over-heating. This is a screen shot of temp. read out on my 2012 Mac Mini. Sorry it's in Fahrenheit, because that is easier for this good old boy born in the USA to understand.

I have the Sensor-based control set on the GPU. So that at anything below 145F the exhaust fan runs at the default speed of 1800rpm. Then when the temp goes over that, the exhaust fan slowly starts increasing in speed to help maintain a decent temp. In most cases, even pushing both the GPU and CPU, the temp. never goes over 165/170F and the exhaust fan never runs much over 2600rpm.

Oct 21, 2020 10:25 AM in response to den.thed

den.thed Said:

A. "[...]FWIW I've been using MacFanControl on my iMac's and Mac Mini's for many years and have never had a hardware issue related to over-heating. This is a screen shot of temp. read out on my 2012 Mac Mini. Sorry it's in Fahrenheit, because that is easier for this good old boy born in the USA to understand.[...]"

-------

Maintaining Operating Temperature:

Knowing the fan is on the rear, I like the idea idea of using that application to maintain a good operating temperature. I'll have to look into the software while I decide which 2020 Mac mini to purchase.

I'm thinking of placing this on my desk, and am just wondering what kind of clearances I need so that the Mac mini will cool properly.

Thank you for the prompt reply.

Oct 21, 2020 3:01 PM in response to samtenor

samtenor Said:

A. Air-Intake:

I have explored few modifications, in hope to cool the Mac Mini, including cooling pad. Because Mac Mini ‘intakes’ the air from from bottom and ‘exhausts’ at the back of the vent.

Thanks for informing that. I’ve raised the cooling pads just now that I just got from a local Goodwill today, placing my Brookstone Projector atop of each. Seems they keep it cool. Using a Tripod is what I’ve used for the projector, which is just about the same physical size as a Mac mini. So, I most certainly plan to place it atop a risen Laptop Cooler.

B. Power:

“Issues: The noise -- my Targus cooling pad does have significant fan noise. I am using external power (from my Thunderbolt display when needed), rather drain power from Mac Mini - which I found also can affect Mac Mini's temperature.

I’m always powering my Laptop Cooler off of an external source(If I have the ability to do so). Luckily, I’m not getting and vroom sound off of the Laptop Cooler.

Oct 22, 2020 8:09 AM in response to den.thed

den.then Said:

Sam is correct, the air intake is a small gap around the front of the bottom cover. Personally I work my Mac Mini's fairly hard from time to time and never felt the need to use anything more than a little help from MacFanControl. I did however, run across a decent looking cooler for the 2010 thru 2018 unibody Mac Mini's.

https://www.speed-designs.com/speed-mac-mini-cooling-base

———-

Thanks! Definitely something to consider. I eMailed them a few questions about it, particularly the power connector fix, as shown in the video. I expect a reply soon. I’ll get back to us on this, once I get a reply.

Their Site’s Video: 2018 Mac Mini Repair - a Ripped Fan Connector During upgrade - YouTube

Oct 22, 2020 9:30 AM in response to TheLittles

No problem, you're welcome.

I've been upgrading Mac Mini's and a few iMac's with RAM and SSD's for sometime now. It's always pays take extra special care when removing any of the logic board connections. So far (knock on wood), I have never busted a connector off of a Mac logic board. However, I have had to jumper burnt and broken power connectors on a few PC laptops.

Effective Laptop Cooler (AKA Cooling Pad) for a Mac Mini?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.