You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Add Row Above and Add Row Below are grayed out

I've been working on Pages in my iMac, created a table, I've been adding rows for months, and then all of a sudden I clicked on the row, then clicked on the drop-down-arrow and I see that the add rows are all grayed out.

Posted on Oct 7, 2020 8:31 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2020 4:00 PM

Pages (3.6.2) and most of the versions after that are limited to 999 rows in a table.

If you need more, your choices are to add a new table, or to move your table (via copy and paste) to a Numbers document where a single table can have 16000 rows (rounded down to the nearest thousamd).

Numbers did get a slight boost in the current version (10.x) to a maximum 1,000,000 rows in each table. Pages 10 may have had it's maximum increased as well.

Regards,

Barry

PS: A quicker way to add rows to a table (in Numbers or Pages) is to select a group of cells in as many rows as you want to add, then press option-down arrow to add that many rows below the last one containing one of the selected cells. Using the up arrow will add rows above the selected rows, using the left or right arrows will add columns to left or right of the selected group.

B.

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 11, 2020 4:00 PM in response to -Theo_5

Pages (3.6.2) and most of the versions after that are limited to 999 rows in a table.

If you need more, your choices are to add a new table, or to move your table (via copy and paste) to a Numbers document where a single table can have 16000 rows (rounded down to the nearest thousamd).

Numbers did get a slight boost in the current version (10.x) to a maximum 1,000,000 rows in each table. Pages 10 may have had it's maximum increased as well.

Regards,

Barry

PS: A quicker way to add rows to a table (in Numbers or Pages) is to select a group of cells in as many rows as you want to add, then press option-down arrow to add that many rows below the last one containing one of the selected cells. Using the up arrow will add rows above the selected rows, using the left or right arrows will add columns to left or right of the selected group.

B.

Oct 7, 2020 8:58 PM in response to -Theo_5

Welcome, -Theo_5, to Apple Support Communities!

You appear to have reached the limit to the number Rows Pages can handle within a single Table.

What version of Pages are you running?

How many Rows does your Table have?

While I’m familiar with the Table Row limits of Numbers, I’m not sure whether Pages shares the same limits, or if it is even more limited.

Add Row Above and Add Row Below are grayed out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.