You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imessage recipient labels receiving message meant for one

When I got my first iPhone, I created His Cell and Her Cell labels for my married contacts so that I would know who each number belongs to. I've always been able to send text messages to His Cell or to Her Cell or to both. Recently, both numbers are now getting the message that I am sending to only one of the recipients. From the front end, I am able to check the recipient that I want the message to go to, but they are both receiving it. Conversely, after sending, I go back and look at info and it shows the correct RECENT recipient but again both recipients received the message.

Is this a bug or intentional?

The only work around I've been able to find is to separate the contacts.

iPhone 6, iOS 12

Posted on Oct 7, 2020 12:36 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2020 6:13 PM

Hey there aggietexas,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. We understand that message you're sending will unintentionally go to both contacts instead of the contact you intended it for. We're happy to provide some assistance.

To clarify, are both numbers listed under the same contact? If so, separating the contacts was a great action to take.

If there issue persists, try deleting the threads and creating an entirely new thread:

Delete messages on iPhone

Keep in mind that, "In the Messages app, you can delete messages and entire conversations. You can’t recover a deleted conversation." as mentioned in that article

We hope this helps.

Have a great day!

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 12, 2020 6:13 PM in response to aggietexas

Hey there aggietexas,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. We understand that message you're sending will unintentionally go to both contacts instead of the contact you intended it for. We're happy to provide some assistance.

To clarify, are both numbers listed under the same contact? If so, separating the contacts was a great action to take.

If there issue persists, try deleting the threads and creating an entirely new thread:

Delete messages on iPhone

Keep in mind that, "In the Messages app, you can delete messages and entire conversations. You can’t recover a deleted conversation." as mentioned in that article

We hope this helps.

Have a great day!

imessage recipient labels receiving message meant for one

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.