You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB install 6.1 Mac Pro late 2013 Mountain Lion 10.8

Hi,

I've got 2 Macs - iMac 2008 & Mac Pro Late 2013.

I've made a USB installer that works on iMac 2008 but not Mac Pro 2013.

Mac Pro 2013 arrived with High Sierra 10.13.4 - I've installed several OS X versions now and backed with Time Machine.

Yosemite is installed on Mac Pro 2013 - I'm not that good on OS X yet so please explain carefully.

Is it possible to install Mountain Lion 10.8? - (then I can do a Time Machine)__

Even if this is older it'd be good to do if possible - There was a "no_entry" sign on install_but this did not occur on iMac 2008 - Thanks

Mac Pro, macOS 10.13

Posted on Sep 2, 2020 1:15 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 2, 2020 1:25 PM

For your MP, I found this:

Original OS OS X 10.9 (13A4023)

Later OS OS X 10.9.2 (13C64), 10.9.4 (13E28), 10.11 (15A284), 10.11.1 (15B42), 10.11.2 (15C50)

Maximum OS Latest release of macOS

So, the basic answer is that you cannot install any version of OS X earlier Than 10.9..1.

Similar questions

6 replies

Sep 3, 2020 7:44 PM in response to Kappy

Hi,

I'll read though what you've posted but thanks for the quick answer which is very helpful - I've "ordered" Mavericks which is 10.9.5 which I'll install and Time Machine.

What is the reason why Mountain Lion 10.8 cannot run? - Is it a firmware? on separate storage on the "Mac Pro Motherboard?" - I'll read your document now - Thanks

Sep 3, 2020 7:50 PM in response to Kappy

As I don't know where to look to find the relevant documentation I may as well ask here as it is on the same topic of compatibility but on different Mac models (so apologies)_for verging off topic.

Mac Mini late - 2018

iMac 2020 - just released

What would be the earliest OS X I could run on these machines? - Then that would save me time attempting the impossible! - Thanks

Sep 3, 2020 7:59 PM in response to mac-fraz

The machine was introduced after 10.9 was introduced. It came with a special build designed specifically for the new hardware. Because of that no earlier version of OS X would be compatible. It's probable that the firmware was different as well but I don't know about it. You could look at the firmware versions in the firmware update documents Apple occasionally released back then. The information I posted for you was what I found in MP 6.1 documentation.

Sep 3, 2020 8:24 PM in response to mac-fraz

2018 Mac mini - Original OS macOS 10.14 (18A2063) 18A2063 is the unique build number for that model. The next compatible public release would be 10.14.1. No version of OS X can be installed on the model which includes 10.8.x.

2020 iMac - The machine is too new to know the exact version of Catalina that is installed. I can only guess that it would be 10.15.3 or later because they were released in Jan, Mar, and May of 2020, respectively. I don't remember the release month for the computer.

The 2020 iMac will not even be able to run Mojave. Note that OS X technically ended with El Capitan. Thereafter, it was renamed to macOS. It is now consistent with iOS or iPhone OS, iPadOS, tvOS, and watchOS.

As a general rule no version of OS X or macOS will run on hardware that was released prior to when the OS version was released. Apple has kept that relationship fairly consistent. OS versions released, say, during 2018 will not work with hardware released earlier than 2018. There is some overlap because a new major release of the OS is, now, scheduled each year with the new version released in Oct/Nov, usually. However, new hardware is not on the same schedule. So, a Late-2017 model may only work with the 2018 OS release if there has been a major change in the hardware.

Sep 5, 2020 4:21 PM in response to Kappy

Hi,

Yes I get the idea with this - I've managed to install Mavericks 10.9 on the MP late 2013 (cylinder)_and got a Time Machine backup of this.

Also on the iMac 2008 OS X Mavericks is also installed and backed up - I'm quite happy that the older OS X can be used as well as this arrived with Leopard 10.5.4 - Snow Leopard is 10.6.3 _with introduction of the app store @ 10.6.8

USB install 6.1 Mac Pro late 2013 Mountain Lion 10.8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.