You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Create a bootable USB drive with MacOS El Capitan (or any other older macOS)

G'day. I am running macOS Monterey. I have an older MacBook Air which needs a fresh installation of an older macOS (like El Capitan). Internet is terribly slow where this device is located so I want to create a bootable USB drive with an older macOS in order to install it.

I did follow this guide: How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support (CA)

However, when downloading El Capitan and the hitting install, I get the answer that my Mac is too new and I can not install such an old version.

How can I create a USB drive with macOS El Capitan using a newer Mac?

Thanks,

Bernhard

Posted on Feb 28, 2022 12:21 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2022 4:20 AM

To perform this action will require booting from a Bootable Installer

This will have to be performed from a Qualifying Computer to run the version of macOS to be made on the Bootable Installer. Example : Bootable Installer of Big Sur would have to be done on a computer that Qualifies to run Big Sur.

If the Computer being used to perform this action is TOO NEW or TOO OLD the version of macOS for the USB Installer - this is not the right computer to do this Action.

The " Apple Licence of Use Agreement" Prohibit this action even if one only what's to make a Bootable Installer to be used on older Apple Computers.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 1, 2022 4:20 AM in response to Bernhard Walzl

To perform this action will require booting from a Bootable Installer

This will have to be performed from a Qualifying Computer to run the version of macOS to be made on the Bootable Installer. Example : Bootable Installer of Big Sur would have to be done on a computer that Qualifies to run Big Sur.

If the Computer being used to perform this action is TOO NEW or TOO OLD the version of macOS for the USB Installer - this is not the right computer to do this Action.

The " Apple Licence of Use Agreement" Prohibit this action even if one only what's to make a Bootable Installer to be used on older Apple Computers.

Mar 2, 2022 1:47 AM in response to Bernhard Walzl

Bernhard Walzl wrote:

So basically what you are saying is one needs a second older (and working) Mac to fix any other older Mac. This makes me sad because in the long run it will be impossible to fix an older machine; simply because there is no second working one.

Are there any disc images available to download? Like an already ready versions of a bootable macOS. But only directly from Apple or a trusted source because it would be too easy to tinker around with it.

" So basically what you are saying " I am just the messages and from personal experience and knowledge of how Apple has things setup.

As for Purchase Older Version from Apple Directly Apple Software

Mar 1, 2022 7:12 PM in response to PRP_53

So basically what you are saying is one needs a second older (and working) Mac to fix any other older Mac. This makes me sad because in the long run it will be impossible to fix an older machine; simply because there is no second working one.

Are there any disc images available to download? Like an already ready versions of a bootable macOS. But only directly from Apple or a trusted source because it would be too easy to tinker around with it.

Create a bootable USB drive with MacOS El Capitan (or any other older macOS)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.