You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New iPhone 11 acting up during calls

It's QUITE annoying and I've never had this problem with an iPhone before. If I take calls and have my phone up against my face, my phone will often mute itself, start dialing random numbers, or even initiate a facetime session. What is causing this, and how can I fix it? I've read it might be a problem with the proximity sensor, but my phone is brand new--purchased mid-March. Would the case it's in have an effect on the sensor? Help??!

iPhone 11, iOS 13

Posted on Apr 20, 2020 11:53 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2020 11:56 AM

If you are putting the phone up to your ear and the screen is not going blank and you have a case, then yes, it could be blocking the sensor. Try removing the case and testing a call. You have to hold it close to your face, because if you hold it too far away, it won't detect your face.

1 reply

New iPhone 11 acting up during calls

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.