You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPhone 11 - when on a call my cheeks mute and hit other things on the screen

How do I stop my cheek from muting calls or hitting numbers on the keypad while I am on the phone?

iPhone 11

Posted on Jan 29, 2021 9:20 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2021 9:34 AM

The iPhone has a proximity sensor that is designed to blank the screen when you place the phone to your ear. If that is not happening, it could be that something is blocking the sensor, or it could be defective. The sensor on the iPhone 11 is located in the notch area of the phone.

Do you have a case on the iPhone that could be somehow interfering with the sensor area? Do you have a screen protector on the iPhone? If so, does it cover the notch area, or is the protector also notched so it does not cover that area?

If you have a case on the iPhone, try removing the case and testing a call to see if the screen will blank out. You can also just try restarting the iPhone to see if that will help. Otherwise, the next step would be to contact Apple Support. You can use the Contact Support link at the top of the page here, or if you have an Apple store nearby, you can see about making a Genius Bar appointment to have the device examined by Apple.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 29, 2021 9:34 AM in response to jnspso

The iPhone has a proximity sensor that is designed to blank the screen when you place the phone to your ear. If that is not happening, it could be that something is blocking the sensor, or it could be defective. The sensor on the iPhone 11 is located in the notch area of the phone.

Do you have a case on the iPhone that could be somehow interfering with the sensor area? Do you have a screen protector on the iPhone? If so, does it cover the notch area, or is the protector also notched so it does not cover that area?

If you have a case on the iPhone, try removing the case and testing a call to see if the screen will blank out. You can also just try restarting the iPhone to see if that will help. Otherwise, the next step would be to contact Apple Support. You can use the Contact Support link at the top of the page here, or if you have an Apple store nearby, you can see about making a Genius Bar appointment to have the device examined by Apple.

IPhone 11 - when on a call my cheeks mute and hit other things on the screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.