You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Booting off an external drive and not seeing the internal drive

In preparation for upgrading to Catalina I decided to create an external drive running El Capitan so that I can run some old software that will not run on my current system, Mojave and won't run on Catalina. I am using an iMac 27 in. 5K, Late 2014. I have installed the software on the drive and have booted from the drive successfully.

The problem is I don't see the internal drive on the iMac as a drive icon on the El Capitan desktop. Also when I go to System Prefs>StartUp Disk I don't see the iMac drive to switch back to, which I guess is to be expected since it's not showing up on the desktop. I have to shut down the computer and let it boot up on the internal drive. Is there some networking settings that I need to implement that will allow the drive to be seen.

Thanks, Bob

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 1, 2020 11:43 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2020 12:22 PM

If the Mojave drive in your iMac is formatted APFS, then that is why. El Capitan cannot understand APFS. You should install Mojave on the external drive.

Similar questions

1 reply

Booting off an external drive and not seeing the internal drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.