You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot start family sharing - says account is already in family

Hi - I'm trying to start family sharing on a new MacBook but I can't get past the start screen. I worked out that I had an old Apple ID with family sharing for which I was the organiser, and my current Apple ID was a member of that family. Apple has now deleted the old Apple ID at my request, but when I try and set up family sharing with my current ID it says I am still a member of the old family, which doesn't exist anymore (I checked, and tried to login - it says 'you do not have an Apple ID'). Can anyone help please? It seems I am a member of the old family but the old Apple ID no longer exists! Thanks in advance :-)

MacBook

Posted on Dec 28, 2019 8:48 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2019 9:36 AM

See if you can leave the existing family, then set up a new family.

Family Sharing - Leave

If necessary, contact Apple ID Support.

Apple ID Support

Apple ID Support (2) 

Apple Support by e-mail or chat    Work through the screens to get a chat option. 

Apple Support using Twitter

Or fill out and submit this form.          The form is for iTunes, but it will get passed to the ID Support section.  

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 28, 2019 9:36 AM in response to Carolinemaddams

See if you can leave the existing family, then set up a new family.

Family Sharing - Leave

If necessary, contact Apple ID Support.

Apple ID Support

Apple ID Support (2) 

Apple Support by e-mail or chat    Work through the screens to get a chat option. 

Apple Support using Twitter

Or fill out and submit this form.          The form is for iTunes, but it will get passed to the ID Support section.  

Cannot start family sharing - says account is already in family

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.