You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macbook pro 16 i9s: Is 2.4 = 9980HK and 2.3 = 9880H?

What is the difference between the two i9 options on the new MacBook Pro 16"? Are they both going to reach the same equilibrium speed under full load and temperature? If one is the 9980HK and the other is the 9880H, the only difference Intel lists for other than the mildly different clock speeds is something called thermal design point down, which sounds to me like the ability to set the overall available power draw to a lower level to save energy or keep the heat dissipation down. Will the 2.3 be able to be set to a lower energy saving mode? I seriously doubt we will see any noticeable speed difference in normal use, and under full load on all cpus, there probably won't even be much time savings. Maybe none, if they both level out to the same boost speed when max temp is reached.

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Nov 20, 2019 3:30 PM

1 reply

Nov 24, 2019 3:53 PM in response to bonze

I have at least partially answered my own question. The 2.4ghz i9 is indeed using the 9980HK and from what I can ascertain from googling, the other one is probably the 9880H. The 9980HK has a slightly higher boost clock. The few benchmarks I have been able to find for those cpus seem to indicate that overall the 9980HK will be about 4% faster in single core, and 5-10% faster in multi-core use. So the remaining question is if there are any thermal issues on a fully loaded machine that will prevent the 9980HK from running at a higher average boost speed when using all cores and the full gpu. If there isn't any issue then overall the 9980HK should see 4% to maybe 10% gain over the 2.3ghz option. (~1/2 minute saved for every 10 minutes of a high-load calculation).

So still awaiting in-detail reviews/analysis of the 2.4ghz i9 option from the press. I'm also not sure what the TDP-down option on the 9880H is, and if it will have any impact.

macbook pro 16 i9s: Is 2.4 = 9980HK and 2.3 = 9880H?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.