You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

"Will Damage Your Computer" Popups and Possible Malware

I keep getting "'AssistiveDisplaySearch' will damage your computer" popups every 5 seconds or so. I was informed by my son that I most likely have malware. I also had McAfee antivirus installed. I screenshot the ~/Library/LaunchAgents, /Library/LaunchAgents, and /Library/LaunchDaemons folders so others can identify which files are causing the problem. Thank you very much for your help!

MacBook Air (M1, 2020)

Posted on Oct 21, 2024 6:36 PM

2 replies

Oct 21, 2024 6:56 PM in response to mama-bear74

mama-bear74 Said:

"'Will Damage Your Computer' Popups and Possible Malware"

-------

Thank you for the screenshot.

Troubleshooting Malware:

Four Thoughts:

A. Uninstall Security Software:

Uninstall McAfee. Use the Uninstaller to do so, getting the Uninstaller directly from my Developer’s site, as getting it else where may result in Malware or Spyware being installed. If you are uncertain which to download, then as the Developer.

B. Scanning your Mac for Malware: 

Use MalwareBytes for Mac --- This is software that searches for malware/adware. So, scan with it and then remove what is found. Once removed, uninstall MalwareBytes for Mac. Then restart the Mac.

Downloads:

1. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac
  2. Malwarebytes Uninstaller

C. Try Using a New Administrator User:

See what happens when you create a new Administrator User and login to it and perform the above. If it works, then it is something mid configured in your current user. So, move everything over to this new user, and then delete this user you are currently logged into.

If none of the above work, then...

D. Restore from a Backup:

Do you have a Time Machine Backup of your Mac that you created prior to this? If so, restore form it. If not, then take this as a learning experience, knowing to always create a Time Machine backup of your Mac prior to making any major change to is (i.e. macOS upgrade), so that you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the upgrade.  Important: Create a backup prior to performing this restoration.

Oct 21, 2024 7:20 PM in response to mama-bear74

McAfee needs to be uninstalled. I will include it on the list to keep, only because you need to use the provided uninstaller to make sure all files including any Extensions that it has installed are able to be removed. You can follow up by verifying that the files are removed in these same folders. It is junk and did not protect your computer.

I kept leapfrog on the list assuming you still have devices that need this file. If not remove it as well. I didn't include MovAviVideo editor on the list, because I do not know where you downloaded it. If you do use this app and downloaded it from the developers official page, that it would be OK to keep it. There are third party sites where it can also be downloaded that may not be safe. You may recognize other files on the list for apps that you have downloaded and those same rules would apply to them as well.

So, with that said let's get to it. First, start up your computer in Safe Mode.

Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support

Then delete all files that do not contain:

• adobe
  • mcafee (again I recommend McAfee be uninstalled using their uninstaller)
  • teamviewer
  • microsoft
  • leapfrog
  • zoom
  • google

Then restart your computer and the popup should be gone.

"Will Damage Your Computer" Popups and Possible Malware

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.